REEL RAVE (edit from alan - read this before you buy a high end spinner!)

Started by Toonafish, August 11, 2016, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

As usual, Fred keeps us grounded with great oracle wisdom.  Things I know but just don't know how to express it or have the smarts to even begin to write what is in my head.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Toonafish

I agree parts are not available for older classics in many products but at least if a guy owns one of these classics in good shape you can at least still get oil, "magoil",grease and aftermarket parts to keep them running, I talked with a shimano service tech and concurred there are duplicate parts in other models but shimano wont even tell them what the duplicate or superseded part numbers are.  

Toonafish

wait a minute,I shouldn't share, but I see a great investment opportunity here, When the newest model comes out just buy all the available shafts, bearings, seals, and whatever is going to fail with wear and in three years start selling them for 5-10 or even 50% more, "what a stella'r idea ???

FatTuna

This is really the model of how a lot of companies do business. It's unfortunate but true.

A few years ago I bought a $2000 TV. Literally two days after the warranty ran up, it refused to turn on. It gives me a blink code telling me which board went on it. I called Panasonic to buy the board. They told me that parts can only be sold to authorized dealers. They have the part but refuse to sell it to me. The service center wants $500.

It's a big manipulative marketing strategy. They don't want you to fix it. They want you to buy a new one or give their authorized service centers the business.

I gave up on consumerism a long time ago. Having the latest and greatest is overrated. It makes you happy for about a minute until something new comes out.

I've fished with $1300 spinning reels and I honestly can't say I noticed much of a different between a $300 spinning reel......

sharkman

Fred I agree with you totally.  I have had a few customers mad when they find out their high end reel broke and the company never made replacement parts to fix.

foakes

While trying to avoid going in too many directions in TF's original thread --

Alan T. is exactly right on --

None of us should expect a high end spinner to be any better than a spinner for less than half the $$$.

Just because we paid $1300 -- that does not give us any special mojo or privileges.

And Daron is right also -- a Penn 14 or 16 are expensive reels -- but they are built for a definite purpose -- landing large fish in the range of 400-1000 pounds, or more.  Something a spinner will never be able to do.

As for buying extra parts for a Stella, or similar high end reel.  Probably not practical -- but a nice idea.  The oil or seals would likely leak out before getting a chance to sell them for the Mother Lode.  I do buy multiple brand new Jigmasters and 209's from Wal-Bomb or Amazon, at around $60, on-line -- gives me all of the spare parts I might need -- at a fraction of buying parts a few at a time.  

Salt guys spending big bucks for a reel, may complain for awhile about non-parts availability -- but then will just go out and buy another reel.  The corporations know this.

As for the Corporations and Brand loyalty --

If we do a little research, we find that a few large Corporations each own hundreds of what we have considered "large, established" and historical brands.  

These companies gobble up other companies -- install new management, institute a "Business Operation & Procedure Manual" throughout their kingdom -- and everything is predicated on a 15% return on investment -- or it is spun off, sold, or closed -- no exceptions -- just business.

Gone is the pride in individual products for consumers -- more money is made for the conglomerates by selling their various companies, merging, stock splits, valuations of stocks, and acquiring more companies through profits and leveraged buy-outs.

We justify this to ourselves, by saying -- well, they do create jobs...and that is true for some in the US, many in China, and many other parts of the world.

Then we say, well, they pay lots of taxes -- don't they?

No, not really -- take a look at Google, or Apple, as an example.

During a Senate investigation into Apple's avoiding of paying US Corporate Taxes a couple of years ago -- Apple, based in Cupertino, California -- would have a Corporate tax liability of up to 35%...

Using their full time resources of accounting, legal, and international options -- they set up a base of operations in Ireland.  They had a small operation already there for nearly 30 years.  So they decided to funnel all profits from overseas sales through their Irish operation.  Ireland's tax base was only 12.5% -- but Apple was able to negotiate an agreement with the government to lower the rate to 2%.

This avoided 12.5 Billion annually -- in US taxes, according to the Senate Investigation hearings in 2013.

Legal, yes...Morally correct...not so much.  

Many Senators and Congressional Representatives are using Apple products provided through special test programs -- at little or no charge.

Investigation has ended with no result -- just more dodging by Apple and the politicians.

With rare exceptions -- the days of Otto, manufacturing a solid product in his small plant, are gone.

We can only use common sense and experienced judgement when buying products -- and we can still expect to be burned from time to time.

When touring the Penn plant in May, the Penn Torques are still made in the Philadelphia plant -- and they are a bullet-proof value -- and selling very well.  Penn has needed to adjust their operation focus -- just to keep up with the demand from consumers, retailers, and tackle shop sellers.

Just a few personal views.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

people ask me constantly about recommendations for spinners.  yeah, yeah, yeah, i'm not the spinner guy.  but my recommendation?  spend $20 to get a daiwa sweepfire or sure fire.  okuma also has a $20 spinner.  they all work fine out of the box.  when they fail, throw them away and buy a new one!  want a tank that will last for more than one season?  old school penn spinners.  need more than 5 pounds of drag?  go conventional......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

I agree that the obsolescence thing is frustrating.  I don't know if it's planned obsolescence or inevitable obsolescence.  But, that's how the world works and you have to take the good with the bad. 

On the good side, we have access to all the available new parts and used parts and expertise at our fingertips.  Thirty years ago you would be snail-mailing someone a self-addressed stamped envelope just to get a schematic and, later, mailing off your parts order with a check.

Fishing reels do not hold their value very well.  If you grow attached to a particular model then start shopping for used reels so you will have parts when you need them.

It's a hobby and is not life threatening.  Don't buy what you cannot afford to loose.
-steve

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on August 12, 2016, 05:31:07 PM
people ask me constantly about recommendations for spinners.  yeah, yeah, yeah, i'm not the spinner guy.  but my recommendation?  spend $20 to get a daiwa sweepfire or sure fire.  okuma also has a $20 spinner.  they all work fine out of the box.  when they fail, throw them away and buy a new one!  want a tank that will last for more than one season?  old school penn spinners.  need more than 5 pounds of drag?  go conventional......  :-\

Ah, grasshopper, so much more to it than that! :D

alantani

all true.  i just hate to see guys spend more money than they have to.   ;D

johndtuttle

The ~$125 to ~$250 range has a lot of really good reels right now.

Cone

Quote from: alantani on August 12, 2016, 09:09:12 PM
all true.  i just hate to see guys spend more money than they have to.   ;D
We all know you hate servicing spinners, Alan.  ;)   Maybe you will start since you have all that extra time after retiring.  ;D ;D  Do you need a few to practice on?  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

i just spend the last two hours ironing shirts.  trust me, i have plenty to do!   ;D

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com