Fresh Salmon from Point Arena, CA Aug. 14, 2016

Started by El Pescador, August 14, 2016, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Received a text at 6:30am, asking if I wanted FRESH Salmon, meet my buddy at home at 11am.
He was en route from Point Arena, CA heading south, after having a great weekend catching King Salmon with his two sons.
His older son and my youngest son attended Kindergarden together, that was 26 years ago.

Here are the photos for all to enjoy.  FRESH Salmon today.

My construction buddy, Jim.

These guys throw NOTHING away, head split in two and the remains of the backbone/filet for grilling someday.

Everything was super CLEAN & organized, with a bucket of a Clorox solution for keeping it clean.

Was told to grab some fresh garden produce as well.

Homeowner is a big hunter and fisherman, these are NOT all the freezers...

Just called Dominick to get over NOW and pick up his filets for dinner.

Enjoy all,

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Wayne, thank your buddies for me.  I'll post a photo or 2 when it is cooked.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

That's what I'm talkin about!  Nice fish, nice fish cutting job, break out the vacuum sealer!

steelfish

awesome color of those Salmons

wayne, how they prepare and cook the salmon's head?
I would like to do something similiar with medium YT heads (seaching for recepies for cooking/grilling fish heads)
The Baja Guy

El Pescador

steelfish!

Yes, those are fresh caught Pacific King Salmon!

As far as cooking/grilling the salmon heads, the homeowner tells me to grill them until done.

Also, the homeowner is 100% Portuguese and THEY don't throw nothing away, and by his tone when he told me, I could tell he was NOT kidding.

Over all my years of salmon fishing, we threw overboard as jetsam, both the heads and backbone from every filleted fish.

Well, there is a new day a dawn'n.  I'll post photos when I'm grilling the heads for a Saturday night dinner.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

smnaguwa

Save the head AND the collar. Split the head in half, marinate all in teriyaki and grill. The collar or "kama" in Japanese restaurants are highly desired.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Gfish

Used to toss all my heads n' backbones too. After I got married and "straightened out" about that, I found one a the best market deals were salmon heads at $2/lb. One of the best and tenderest meat areas on the fish.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: El Pescador on August 30, 2016, 02:02:04 AM
steelfish!

I'll post photos when I'm grilling the heads for a Saturday night dinner.

Wayne

thanks COmpadre, I will be looking forward to see them
The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Quote from: smnaguwa on August 30, 2016, 01:24:48 PM
Save the head AND the collar. Split the head in half, marinate all in teriyaki and grill. The collar or "kama" in Japanese restaurants are highly desired.

Second to that!

I saved some collars off of the Kings I caught in June....none of the others in my group wanted any.  The gal cutting the fish knew I knew what was going on with the collars.

Had some a couple a weeks ago and what a surprise. Little medallions of goodness which operate the pectoral fins on fish.  ;D

Mine were teriyaki marinaded first, then foil wrapped in the same marinade on the grill, then unwrapped and quickly seared/grilled to finish. YUM!

Not so sure about eating the head, yet.

philaroman

collars, cheeks & tiny muscles behind the eyeballs are the best parts -- sacrilege to throw 'em out...  the eyeballs are an acquired taste -- not for everyone

steelfish

Quote from: philaroman on August 30, 2016, 05:39:15 PM
the eyeballs are an acquired taste -- not for everyone

I love Eyeball of caw when they are prepared in whole head in Birria style

even here in Mexico some persons still give that look to me when I order two tacos of eyeball

I had tried and liked fish's eyeballs but only on big fish heads, eyeballs of small fish heads had a bitter taste even when you take the black stuff out from the eye
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Forget the fish, I want his house!!!  Look at the freezers and outside cooking and cleaning stations...I'm in love...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

This man knows how to insure the game meat he brings to his table is the best quality it can possibly be.
And it shows in his preparation. 

ChileRelleno

Wow!
Friends with too many fresh fish, what a blessing.  8)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."