Poors man DIY Hand rod wrapper jig (from a wood box)

Started by steelfish, August 17, 2016, 07:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Well time pass and Im still without fixing my own rods and I have all the parts I need, I even have a Pro rod dryer (thanks again Joe) .. but I didnt had a Rod wrapper jig, but no for anylonger..

few years back my goal was to fix my own reels, its DONE and now Im even fixing reels for my friends and for friends of my friends, activity that have helped me to get external funds to get better reels.

now my goal is to fix my own rods, but normal work, family and fixing reels side job havent gave me enought time to make my "nice" hand wrapper jig that Im planning to do, and now I have 3 rods waiting to change one or two guides.

so, recently while working on something around the house, I got a MacGyver moment and visualized my carry-on wood tool box I made few years back as a prospect for my hand rod wrapper station.
well after a short visit to my local hardware store, and after few hours working on it late night I came out with this..

my carry-on hand rod wrapper jig

this next pictures were taken actually testing the rod wrapper on a rod, I didt finished to rod this time to show you how it was, but so far soo good, it felt really good while winding some thread on the rod (which its one of the pending to fix rods)

as you can see, Im using two broken rod tips section as line guides, I have the option of use one or two line guides if I need a different  thread color

line guides (rod tips) are not permanent there, I made two holes on the slinding piece of wood of 4" deep on which you stick the rod tips, this way they cant get out on their own while using them, but for storing purposes you just take them out from the holes and put them on the floor of the box

it also has a long screw (worm screw??) from side to side of the box on which I put a piece of wood that can slide to move the winding thread rolls and line guides to your preferable zone.
winding thread tensioners dont need much explanation, right?

and finally a velcro strip on one side of the box to hold the rod and keep it steady.

it came out really a lot better than I though it would, for know I will use it to finish the pending to fix rods and decide to keep it for next jobs or made the one I was planning since the beginning.

now I will just put tons of small fishing decals on it, a dark color felp floor (I already have some) and call it a day... ooh and start using it

The Baja Guy

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RiverAngler

Great job! That will do any repair you need to do.I built on too, out of scraps and some stuff from the hardware store.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

STRIPER LOU

Very cool. Definitely better than what I'm using. I'll have to put one on the list. Thanks for posting.
....................Lou

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

thanks guys for your kind comments, best thing about it (IMO) its that once you finished your work with it, you can put all the accesories inside the box along with small Plano boxes with thread, guides, tiptops, etc, then put the wood box on a corner and put another storage box on the top, its really a space saving thingy for small places like mine where I dont have a Man cave.

The Baja Guy

theswimmer

Really wonderful idea and execution .
I think half my life has been McGyver moments.
I like it alot.
Best ,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

steelfish

thanks guys, really apreciate your comments.

nece$$ity is the mother of the invention, right?

seems that I will keep this to-go hand rod wrapper for long, this weekend I did my 1st ever guide winding with it and worked like a charm, I used a really cheap rod I got on a local flea market, it was already fishable as it but two guides were really beat up so I changed them.

well this is how one of the new guides was wrapped.

NO gold or silver trims on them cuz the rest of the stock guides were this simple, just black winding thread and thats it.

still need the coating them
The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Well done, Alex! Your design is a lot like the one I use http://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Hand-Wrapper-System-HWS-1

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

theswimmer

Nice work Alex!
Inspiration for sure for the rest of us......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

steelfish

Quote from: sdlehr on August 22, 2016, 08:22:44 PM
Well done, Alex! Your design is a lot like the one I use http://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Hand-Wrapper-System-HWS-1

Sid

Sid, that design centanly looks similar too mine, cool coincidence, that CRB wraper, is a factory made hand rod wrapper that seems like it was based on DIY rod wrapper designs from people that dont want, need or affort a power wrapper/drier jig.

its cool for guys that dont like DIY thingies, I am one of those guys that normally enjoy more making or building diff things that actually using them LOL, I really hope this will never apply to fishing rods.

@theswimmer , thanks again amigo.
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, genius use of broken tips. I'm hand tensioning thread out of a little pan....

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on August 17, 2016, 07:30:10 PM

now I will just put tons of small fishing decals on it, a dark color felp floor (I already have some) and call it a day... ooh and start using it

fishing stickers... Done
dark color felp floor... not needed but tinted on dark maple
start using it...... Done

check the final version of the carry-on Hand rod wrapper

yep, our Scott's bait and tackle guys

and this is how I repaired and installed two new rings to an old spinning rod with sentimental value for a friend, I didnt wanted to mess a lot with the stock trim bands so, I continue the wrapping with the best similar color I found... I think it ended up good.

this are my first ever guide coating so dont be that hard
The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RiverAngler

The wrapper looks great, so does the rod! Great work!

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!