How to Get Rid of Old Vintage/Antique Reels

Started by foakes, August 17, 2016, 07:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Cutting down a tree that close to powerlines requires a licensed arborist if anything goes wrong.
You can be fined for not doing otherwise if someone calls the law.
That $400 will be money well spent while I'm at work.
He is Licensed and insured and has some serious credentials. I would do it no other way.
I am not scared of cutting that tree down by myself, I have just weighed the options and it will only cost me one day's work.
It would take me several days to get rid of all that wood on a double trunk tree of that size since I don't burn it.
I cleared out the fence row in the back of my property and it took me two months and dozens of trips to the local mulching company.
I'm not scared of work, but it just makes sense to me know.
That is a good price for the work involved.
I am nowhere near the lumberjack as you Fred, I just know how to work a chainsaw when I have to. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I agree Daron. Actually, anything you get done on your property, make sure the contractor is fully licenced  and insured.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Starting to clean, service, and restore these 40 first...

Mostly old knuckle-busters -- most have no star drags.

They do not have to be perfect for the lamp project -- just clean, serviced, attractive, and operable.

What do some of you think -- clean the spool and install the old linen or old fashioned line -- or display with no line -- or a combination?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Why not try some both ways.  I was thinking mounting the reel on an old rod handle vertically with the lamp fixture on top would look great.  An old linen fishing line running from the reel to the light pull on/off switch (where you just pull the line to turn the lamp on or off, would be pretty cool.  Mounting the light hardware to the end of the handle wouldn't be difficult, but running the cord through the handle might prove problematic on solid wood handles.  I guess you could use a short line directly to the arbor, where rotating the handle partway would turn off or on the switch as well.  Just thinking out loud here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

I thought the OC 112 with red sides is a rare find and there is Fred with 2 in that old box of reels.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

spc7669

I would love to come across an AH Fox reel. My bird gun is a 1920 AH Fox and I've always been fascinated by the brand. Your collection is always a sight to behold.

Tightlines667

Quote from: spc7669 on August 23, 2016, 11:55:23 PM
I would love to come across an AH Fox reel. My bird gun is a 1920 AH Fox and I've always been fascinated by the brand. Your collection is always a sight to behold.

Those fox reels are around.  I would like one as well, even though they are not particularly valuable, they have been selling for more then I have been willing to spend.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

spc7669

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 24, 2016, 12:04:15 AM
Quote from: spc7669 on August 23, 2016, 11:55:23 PM

Those fox reels are around.  I would like one as well, even though they are not particularly valuable, they have been selling for more then I have been willing to spend.

You are right about that. The ones I find are on vintage shotgun sites and they are way overpriced. Fox also made some toys and an automobile. Those bring a fortune. I'll trip over one someday.

foakes

After doing a few reels this morning -- did this old Pflueger 2657 LW for the lamp project.

No drag, no A/R, -- 25 seconds of free spool with no line on the spool -- with a LW.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.