need a photo of the positon and orientation of the mak 10 II sea bellevilles.

Started by alantani, August 19, 2016, 04:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

First of all, I'd like to state that following is just a claim which might be wrong - or that my logic is way off. :)

I've been looking into this Makaira 10II-SEa countless times now, I've had it here for a few months and I've looked at it whenever I've had time inbetween other reels sent to me.

I've always used the schematic found here: http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/lever-drag-reels/makaira-sea, and it was via the same schematic that I found a mistake that had been made by the previous person who had opened this reel (a Belleville had been installed alone inbetween two C-clips for some reason), trying to sort the problem with no freespool.

However, I still was not able to sort out the problem with the spool binding like crazy. All the Bellevilles seemed to be installed correctly ()(), and I had looked at every single part a few thousand times. :)

Then I saw someone mentioning that Alan had a nice tutorial on the shaft assembly of Bellevilles etc (from this post: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1801.0). I figured that I'd have a look and just check again for the 48466 time. Everything looked just like the line of order in the reel infront of me.. until I suddenly noticed a detail that I was sure was different, though I had not thought a second of it previously..

(I hope it's ok that I used your picture to illustrate, Alan - let me know if it's not)

Take a look that the big stainless steel key washer (key #612) and its orientation. One side is smooth, one side is not. In Alan's picture, the non-smooth side is facing inwards.

Now look at this cropped picture, taken from the schematic that I used to check the reel:

Do you see it? The smooth side is illustrated facing inward, towards the drag washer - opposite to the one in Alan's picture.

Looking at key washer #2 (installed from the opposite side of the drag system), it's clearly illustrated having a non-smooth side - facing outward from the drag system:

NOW.. when I turned key washer #1, to the orientation shown in Alan's picture, FREESPOOL WAS ENABLED. There was no longer any binding via the Pinion Gear, turning the handle while the reel was in Free did NOT make the spool spin in rythm with the handle, and when adjusting the drag knob, the spool enabled nicely between Free and Strike - depending on how much drag I adjusted via the knob.

Again - maybe I'm wrong. You guys have so much more experience, but this stands out to me and it solved 98% of the problem with this reel (which was driving me crazy). The only thing left, is understanding why the reel only gives about 15 lb of drag before losing freespool, but that part I can look at with less pressure on me now. :)

As a PS; I've looked at other Makaira schematics and they show the orientation of disc #1 in the same way as shown in Alan's picture in this post.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about this.

josa1

Note in my post above that this exactly the problem I had.  When I reversed the drag plate orientation the lack of proper free spool went away.

I'm just glad you fixed the problem!

josa1

Jon_Kol

Quote from: josa1 on August 23, 2016, 10:09:27 PM
Note in my post above that this exactly the problem I had.  When I reversed the drag plate orientation the lack of proper free spool went away.

I'm just glad you fixed the problem!

josa1

Oh, I misunderstood your earlier post then - I thought you were refering to the Bellevilles and that they had gotten installed in a wrong way. Ain't so easy being Norwegian and trying to remember every phrase and expressions used when reading posts about reels, I guess. :D

josa1

There's not many things involving reel repair that are as satisfying as solving this kind of problem. 

By the way, I really like your "computer" dexterity, i.e, showing cropped images and being able to circle a particular part with a green square.  Hijacking Alan's thread so adroitly to explain your final fix.  VERY well done!

Thanks for sharing this with us.  We'll all gain knowledge from your willingness to put the problem out there for us all to see.

josa1

Jon_Kol

Quote from: josa1 on August 24, 2016, 02:30:28 AM
There's not many things involving reel repair that are as satisfying as solving this kind of problem. 

By the way, I really like your "computer" dexterity, i.e, showing cropped images and being able to circle a particular part with a green square.  Hijacking Alan's thread so adroitly to explain your final fix.  VERY well done!

Thanks for sharing this with us.  We'll all gain knowledge from your willingness to put the problem out there for us all to see.

josa1

Hey, thanks! I really appreciate hearing that kind of feedback.