this is why i like having a winder

Started by alantani, August 20, 2016, 03:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 23, 2016, 02:42:21 PM

I believe Steve-O explained that in his post, and that sounded reasonable to me from the aspect of wanting more line to fight the fish with.

Joe 
Yup, knowing that at any given strength mono will be wider than braid, you can pack more braid on any reel as compared to the amount of mono it will hold. (I know you know this, others may not) Braid is softer and ties easier with less knot security in my hands. Mono has more abrasion resistance and fluorocarbon line, with a clear advantage of being almost invisible in water, has too much memory to be used on a spinner (although it can work well on a conventional (it's stiffer than other monofilament line), but it has no stretch so isn't as good as  mono if you're wanting a top shot when throwing heavy irons). A light rod with braid and a fluoro topshot would be a very sensitive rod; not much to dampen the vibrations of the prey at the other end of the line .... lots of factors to be considered when choosing line types and diameters for a specific fishing application.... probably more than one are "right".

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

alantani

as far as wax versus grease, it started out as just a matter of convenience.  i had lots of old greasy toothbrushes laying around and used those, plus an old swiss army knife, to spin the spool on the winder under high speed and remove the corrosion.  i think it's less an issue of what you use and more a matter of just using something, anything, to get into the pores of the aluminum and prevent corrosion.  personally, though, i would trust the engineers at yamaha on salt water corrosion before the guys at car quest.  

regarding the flex wrap, i like it because it is sticky as hell, but can be easily removed.  i don't like mono at the bottom of the spool.  never did.  that's just me.  with the spectra packed tight, i think there are fewer places for water to sit.  with mono, i think there is more room for water to intrude.  plus, i want to make absolutely sure that the line breaks at the fish end rather than the reel end, just in case you hook into an ocean liner.  

and for rigging, we commonly use spectra backing with a mono or fluorocarbon topshot.  the spectra is purely for line capacity with smaller reels.  this is how i can get 800 yards of spectra with a 25 yard mono or fluoro topshot on a mid-sized makaira 20.  i am taking a mak 16, 20 and 50 when i go to puerto vallarta with ben.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Sid, braid doesn't slip on the arbor if tied correctly.
I wax the spool with carnauba wax - applied with a Dremel and mini mop (it can't be applied by hand).
I then wrap 2 or 3 layers of self-fuse/easy-fuse tape over the arbor.
I then wrap the braid 3 times around the arbor.
Then I tie an arbor knot - against one edge of the spool - leaving a long tag (which can then be trapped under successive layers of braid)
Never - ever- has it ever slipped.

I can't see the point in using mono under braid - it will get crushed/distorted/whatever - it's just totally unnecessary IMHO

spc7669

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 23, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
I wax the spool with carnauba wax - applied with a Dremel and mini mop (it can't be applied by hand).
Then I tie an arbor knot - against one edge of the spool - leaving a long tag (which can then be trapped under successive layers of braid)

I can't see the point in using mono under braid - it will get crushed/distorted/whatever - it's just totally unnecessary IMHO

I don't tie on mono first either. I used to until I read some instructions on Jerry Brown's website that said to do the arbor knot and long tag end. Haven't had any problems with this method.

conchydong

Quote from: spc7669 on August 24, 2016, 12:36:47 AM

I don't tie on mono first either. I used to until I read some instructions on Jerry Brown's website that said to do the arbor knot and long tag end. Haven't had any problems with this method.

I have also used Jerry Brown's method using the long tag end without slippage for years. I do not even bother with the tape.

nelz

I wonder if grease might deteriorate the mono in any way? Is there a grease that's known to be safe on mono? I believe the braid is pretty bullet-proof as far as that goes.

thorhammer

Noted....good tip!

Mic

You guys are Bad ####~!

Thanks for giving me another thought to go back and look my reels over.

Just when I thought I was doing alright.....................................

Thanks for the kick in the head

Lunker Larry

Came across this last year. The guy was wondering why his reel kept engaging when he'd cast. The line was digging into the soft spooling.
Had to take a lot of line off to find this. Pretty weird.

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 30, 2016, 03:19:36 AM
Larry: That line was wrapped to loose and slipped on the spool, that's why it bunched up.

Joe
x
Yep. Just never came across such a "good" example.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

rippin_lips

Many spinning reels hold 200 or so yards of the size braid to be used.....braid is conveniently sold in 150 yard spools. Mono underneath fills up the spool some and saves money when you don't need more than 150 yards of braid.

Tiddlerbasher

Solid braid is as cheap as chips (but lasts longer ;)) It can also be spliced into hollow core and then a mono/floro top shot - knot free - no problem
Again why bother with mono backing :-\

rippin_lips

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 01, 2016, 05:55:33 PM
Solid braid is as cheap as chips (but lasts longer ;)) It can also be spliced into hollow core and then a mono/floro top shot - knot free - no problem
Again why bother with mono backing :-\

I just told you why. Where I fish and how I fish, I use a light spinning outfit to throw relatively light lures. Braid is great for casting these lures and feeling the strike and its strong enough to handle the occasional big one. I use power pro super slick, not cheap stuff (if you can get power pro super slick cheaper than mono please tell me where). I will never see the bottom of my spool, so why have expensive line there? I use mono to fill up some of the spool and I top it with the expensive braid. This is one reason to bother with mono backing. If I'm grouper fishing, the drag is very tight and the fish don't run. They are extremely strong though so it's not uncommon to use a 114H. It would cost more than the reel to fill the whole spool with braid, when fishing for grouper only requires enough to get to the bottom (150-200 yards would be enough). Different strokes for different folks, but this is why I bother. If anyone sees a way I can do it better feel free to recommend it to me.

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

There are so many styles of fishing that what sometimes seems ridiculous to one guy is a tried and true technique for another. I too use mono to back braid on spinning reels...the cheapest mono available...that crap from Wally's that's like $2 a spool! On the other hand, another great economy backing I've used is that cheapo Gorilla Tough braid, excellent for plastic spools. I guess no matter what your choice is, select your backing to suit spool material, and wind it on with correct pressure. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~