114h rebuild

Started by ReelFishingProblems, August 21, 2016, 02:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Nice build, a beast!Based on what I've already spent with CC on jiggys and 4/0 plates, I'd rather he didn't come out with 114H plates soon....I have six and just couldn't stand not to do them...

ReelFishingProblems

If CC made side plates, I'd have to buy a set in black. If you couldn't resist buying six sets, I'm sure others would follow suit.  :)
There would be a whole lot of good looking 6/0s out there

thorhammer

Naw. I'm already risking living in my garage by matching the jigmasters to the 4/0s. I couldn't possibly leave the 114's stock, it would have to happen.   ;D ;D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, if you can't wait for Tom, I have new or near new 114H Accuplates in black, gold and Ice Blue.

Randy

thorhammer

dang! lemme get finish up the super wide jiggy and the 4/0's and let's talk.....

BryanC

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on August 21, 2016, 11:48:20 PM
That handle is massive, it looks great!

With upgrading the internals and the frame, should I still stick to the braid size recommendation of 100lb at max, or can it handle larger? Do these upgrades allow the reel to handle bigger fish of they were to get hooked?

I'm moving to Tampa in winter and look forward to the king mackerel runs in spring and fall.  Looking forward to other blue water fish too. Does anybody have experience fishing waters out of Tampa?

Nick

I fish out of the Tampa Bay area.  We do have good kingfish runs as you indicated, but if "blue water" means tuna, marlin, sailfish, swordfish, etc. then this isn't really what I would call a blue water fishing destination.  Some of those fish are available in this region, but very long runs are required to target them with any consistency (over 100 miles each way), and I don't know anyone who goes out fishing for them around here.  This is a great place for bottom fishing for grouper, snapper and other bottom fish, plus kingfish, spanish mackeral, amberjack, and many other species.

ReelFishingProblems

BryanC,

Well I will definitely be excited about the king mackerel runs, and any inshore fishing around Tampa bay will be great too. Do you have any info on good resources for somebody new to Tampa fishing?

Nick

BryanC

There is lots of inshore fishing around here.  Snook, Redfish & Trout are the staples.  From ~April-October, we have full grown tarpon on the beaches, in the passes, and in the bay, and we have juvenile tarpon are here year round - for those who know where to find them (I don't).  The bay and nearshore waters hold spanish macks most of the year.  We also have pompano & permit (mainly pompano and a few small permit inshore; larger permit can be found offshore).  I don't do a lot of inshore fishing any more, but I know the basics.  I find that with inshore fishing, the more often you fish, the more successful you are.  If you fish frequently, you can pick up on trends and kind of follow the fish around or find them easily from one trip to the next.  If you don't go often enough, you need to start out looking for them each trip out, and sometimes that can take up the whole day.

I love this fishery.  I go to the Keys once a year or so, and occasionally take fishing trips to other destinations.  I catch more fish right here than anywhere else I go.  That is not necessarily because it is "better" than the other places, but I am familiar with the waters, and that makes a huge difference.

As far as resources go, your best bet is to get to know some other people who like to fish and spend time on the water with them.  Hit me up once you are here, and we can get out fishing.  Beyond that, the Florida Sportsman fishing forum is not what it used to be, but there is still some good info there if you can filter through the crap.  If you do that, focus on the West Central section of the forum.

ReelFishingProblems

BryanC,

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge. I will definitely look you up when I get there. It would be great to have a good fishing group down there. Especially one that knows what they're doing.

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Received an insert kit from Adam at Motive Fabrication. Installed it this morning, and I think that my rebuilt 114H is ready to go (pending an upgraded handle and blade at some point). Thank you everyone for your expert advice and help. I think I'll be ready for Florida. I just need to pick out the right rod to go with it.

Nick
Monterey, CA

Gfish

Alright Nick!
Anyone have knowledge, guess-timates or opinions about this: Is there a big or even significant increase in the structural strength of a Penn conventional with the addition of aluminum side-plates over the bakelites/S.Steel rings? Specifically, the bearing cup assembly areas. Also, I know the bakelite can expand with time causing SS ring fit problems, what about alignment problems with the spool shaft/bearings, or, other internal parts. Has anyone ever experienced this, where they knew what it was?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

GF, I have never heard of any alignment problems with the plastic/ss ring plates.  From what I read and seen the failures to them are from dropping them.  Never heard of one failing due to swelling.  Someone has posted a link to MythBusters where they hooked a 9/0(?) to a motorcycle, buttoned the drag down and ran up to 190 mph, the plates around the drags heated to 700 degrees F, and the only failure was the line.  The plastic plates do offer a lighter product over the aluminum....maybe others have had different experiences......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Thanks for your reply, Bill. Had a cracked 113h side plate(bakelite) and it definitely looked to have been dropped or smacked hard on somethin'. What about structural strength of s.s. Crossbars vs aluminum aftermarket frames such as the Tiberon models, or, even the aluminum crossbars on my 114HL "special senator II"? These are 2 bars that take the place of a total of 4 a the s.s. Crossbars, leaving only a single top crossbar where the lugs are.
The bakelite plates are easy to sand down, like when you double-dog, or need to make a ring fit better and they don't corrode. So, whats the real advantage of aluminium plates and (or) frames?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

GF.....jmo.....but in the overall scope, the more surface contact you have with the side plates the more strength, so a full frame would provide more strength to reduce twisting when a lot of drag is applied.  These Penn reel apply drag to one side of the reel, the other side is free to turn.  Think of only having brakes on one side of your car, the car would want to turn to one side (brake side).

Based on the more surface area assumption, ss bars would provide more surface and strength than posts, and the full frame more than ss bars.

The aluminum plates are stronger and harder than plastic plates, which would prevent posts or ss bars from digging in during frame twist.  Even when you add chrome/brass rings to the plates, the solid aluminum would still be stronger. An added benefit is corrosion protection. Solid aluminum plates do not have separate rings to trap water and corrode.

That being said, when fished within the design specifications, original Penn components will last a lifetime. These upgrades allow fishing well beyond design specs......plus they just look cool.... ;D

These are just my opinions and I am sure others my disagree.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

cbar45

Tarfu's got it, full aluminum frames offer more rigidity and spread the load throughout a wider surface area rather than concentrate it at a single point. Many of the stand-and-posts, (or stand-and-crossbar), setups I've seen that were "torqued over", had either bent in the area of the stand, and/or at the end of the post/s where it contacts the sideplate. Sometimes the screw itself would have a corresponding bend in it.

A few of my reels do have stainless posts--which I feel are less prone to bending compared to stock brass--but the load is still being transferred to a bakelite sideplate, plus there is the soft brass stand to contend with. So drags are kept stock and the reels aren't pushed too hard.

On the other hand, the O.P. sounds like he wants a dual-purpose reel that can still be used should the opportunity for bigger fish arise. To this end the drag insert mentioned bumps up the stopping power, but the effect is that it translates into more stress on the rest of the reel--stress that a full aluminum frame and sideplate setup can handle better.

chad