Optimize tld 25 for using 15kg line

Started by ScottOz, August 23, 2016, 04:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi to all,
            I recently came across this great forum and have been reading as much as possible when time permits.I would like to get some info on how to best optimize the drag range and progression on my TLD reels.

Shimano TLD single speed 20 and 25.With standard drag that I am happy with smoothness.
15kg mono line used.
Circle hooks used mostly for sharking.

The problem,
                   With a strike drag of 5kg the reel have 454gm or 16oz of drag when just out of freespool and 6kg max drag at sunset.For me 16oz of minimum drag is to much when using circle hooks as it results in a lot of dropped baits.Sharks spooked?To overcome this I have been using lower strike drag of 4kg which gives 113gm or 4oz minimum drag when just out of freespool.Perfect.But only 5.6kg of drag at max drag or sunset.Not really enough.

What I would like to achieve.

minimum drag just out of freespool of 113gm or 4oz.
stike drag of 5kg
max or sunset drag of 7kg.

Now I know that it would be near impossible to get these figures exactly and some compromise will be required.Most important to me is the low drag when just out of freespool and the max drag at sunset.6.5kg would be ok.With help from this site I am starting to understand how all components of the drag system work,but still have much to learn.A ny help  or sugestions would be great.
Thanks Scott. :)

alantani

achieving that combination might be possible.  it would require that you experiment with different combinations of thick and thin belleville spring washers.  the bellevilles in your reel are thick.  the bellevilles in the tld 15 are thin.  some combination of bellevilles might give you the drag parameters you want. be organized and patient.   this make take a while.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ScottOz

Hi Alan, Thanks for the reply and advise.Do those washers have to be ordered through Shimano au? Or are the after market ones available? My understanding of the role they play is pretty limited so some more info or links would be great.Do the Beeville washers come as a set or singles.My schematic has them as a set? Also a general start configuration for them be helpful as I would have know idea.This will be a big learning curve by the sound of it.A number of years ago I brought a tyrnos 30hopeing it would suit me better,but found it to be the same problem.Took it back and got another tld and saved some dollars.Since reading on this forum I has gone and got some yamalube marine grease and found a supplier for corrosion x here in Australia.They only have reel x but it is probably 10x better then what I have been using. Cheers Scott

Rothmar2

G'day Scott,

I'm guessing you are from Australia? I have used these guys in the past for sourcing bellevilles to mix'match the reel Belleville combination(s) to optimise the drag ramp on reels.

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partstab/washersdiscspringstainlesssteel/washersdiscspringstainlesssteel/a/1/

Can't tell you off the top of my head exactly what you will need for your TLD 25. Measure the ID and OD and the section thickness and free height of the washers in the reel (have you got verniers?). Then check the options from the catalogue above and get a few close variations of the current washers. It's also important to check the overall height of the Belleville "stack" in the reel. You may need a shim or two to make sure the modified stack is as close as possible to original. The stack height is critical to the overall functioning of the reel, and must be kept within a fairly narrow tolerance.
What you are attempting is tedious, but it can be done. Be prepared to re-open and re-assemble the reel many times before you get what you want.

Edit- here's a thread where I modified a TTS ramp which might give you some ideas about stack arrangements

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7895.15

ScottOz

Thanks Rothmar2.I will check out small parts website.Have some verniers at work I can borrow.Cheers Scott

alantani

i can get an assortment of bellevilles for you.  to save on postage, i'd tape them to the inside of a plain letter envelope, slap three postage stamps on it and drop it into the mail box, then hope that it doesn't get stuck in a sorting machine somewhere.  if you send me a pm with your address, i can send a few out to you. 

ScottOz

Cheers Alan, Will send you a pm in the coming days.Pretty busy now.
Thanks Scott.

ScottOz

Hi All,
        Success.Just done tinkering with TLD drag and very pleased with the result.Took me two attempts.
         Stock was thin, thin,thin, thin ()() 3.7mm width.Strike drag 4kg,max 5.6kg to still have light low end drag.

Now have thin, thin, thick,thick ()(( 3.8mm width.Strike 5kg,max 6.6kg and still have very light low end drag.17% increase in top end drag.
         Very happy with result.Has been bugging me for years since started using circle hooks.

Thanks to those that gave advise on my project.
         Scott

ScottOz

My wife got a 6'11" or 208cm Bull shark last night off the beach on the TLD I just tricked the drag on.

Rancanfish

Wow, congrats.  Wait a minute..........where's the pic?  You know what they say.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

ScottOz

Here's the picture.

alantani

i think he means a picture of your wife!!!!!   ;D

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on October 27, 2016, 02:48:53 AM
i think he means a picture of your wife!!!!!   ;D
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ScottOz

Hey Alan and Brian,
                             That was my wife in the picture. :) :) :) :) :) :) :).

Rancanfish

First off, not what I meant per 'Tani the troublemaker', lol.

And bwaaahaha on your response.  She's lovely.   8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.