the left handed metaloid

Started by alantani, August 23, 2016, 05:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

see, this is what happens when i miss staff meetings.....   ;D

i had a box of reels to spool.  in the mix were three metaloids.  a friend came over and was just curious and was looking at the reels.  he's always grousing about the poor selection of left handed reels available to him.  his choices have always basically been avet and accurate.  good choices, but they are not true left handed reels.  yes, the handle cranks counter clockwise and the lever is thrown forward counter clockwise, but the preset knobs in these reels always turn clockwise to tighten, not counter clockwise. 

well, in this box of okuma metaloids was a true left handed reel with a preset knob that turns counterclockwise to tighten.  so for you southpaws, you now have a true left handed reel.  i didn't know this until yesterday. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I may need to get one of those for my son.  May be a little much for rock cod, but a true lefty...Hmm. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

boon

Oooooh is that a metal drag quadrant on the LX reel?

Tiddlerbasher

It may be my eyes ::) but the drag lever, on he LX, seems to go into 'free' when pushed away from you - if so that is pretty un-intuative :(

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 25, 2016, 10:57:56 AM
It may be my eyes ::) but the drag lever, on he LX, seems to go into 'free' when pushed away from you - if so that is pretty un-intuative :(
Um, I think you need to turn the reel around so you are cranking with your left hand and not your right.  If you push forward on the lever, the drag goes towards full.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Your quite right Bryan - I looked at the 'FULL' indicated on the LX and read it as 'FREE' ::)
My only excuse is they both begin with F and have 4 letters Doh!  ;D

alantani

Quote from: boon on August 25, 2016, 10:14:55 AM

it is.  personally, i was fine with the graphite quadrants on the andros, but i know that alot of guys prefer stainless steel.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2016, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: boon on August 25, 2016, 10:14:55 AM

it is.  personally, i was fine with the graphite quadrants on the andros, but i know that alot of guys prefer stainless steel.

I felt that part and the cap on the drag lever somewhat cheapen the feel of the reel. But it's an extremely minor thing.

It's not going to stop me converting my 5N to a stainless quadrant :)