getting ready for puerto vallarta

Started by alantani, August 23, 2016, 06:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

100 yards of 130 pound white jb hollow on top, followed by 700 yards of 100 pound jb hollow alternating 100 yard sections of green, white, green, white, green, yellow and red.  drags are set to 35 pounds at strike.  the wind on will be 100 pound.  

the makaira 50 will be rigged for a 130 pound wind on with 45 pounds of drag at strike.  the makaira 16 will be rigged for an 80 pound wind on with 25 pounds of drag at strike.  jon vadney has completed all three rods, the raptor, viper and invictus.  headed for puerto vallarta at the end of november.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJ

Good luck on getting fish worthy of that equipment!

thorhammer

Nicely done Boss! Hopefully if there is time, can you show me that spice?

John

akfish

Alan -- Can you really fish 45# at strike? I can't fish more than 30#. My Accurate 50 may be close to 45# at sundown but I can only fish that for a few minutes at the rail when the fish is up and down.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Shark Hunter

I really need to learn how to properly splice JB Hollow to Mono.
I've just acquired 1000 yards of 300lb JB and need to splice it to 200lb mono.
Life is Good!

akfish

Splicing mono into hollow spectra is easy: Put about 4 feet of mono inside the spectra. Pull on it to make it tight; the mono will not come out because of a "Chinese finger trap." Then get some light spectra -- say 50# -- and make about 20 or 30 half hitches on the last inch or so where the mono enters the spectra. Finally, put Tac Glue on the last few inches, say six, of the connection. This will hold 100%.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

Quote from: akfish on August 25, 2016, 03:42:10 PM
Alan -- Can you really fish 45# at strike? I can't fish more than 30#. My Accurate 50 may be close to 45# at sundown but I can only fish that for a few minutes at the rail when the fish is up and down.

well, sort of....  what you do is feather the drag lever forward until you get what ever amount of drag you need.  you have to be able to hang on and let the boat lift him, then reel down when the boat goes down.  the boat does the lifting.  you just leverage the rod and crank when the boat drops.  when the boat comes up, the fish should come up.  i would never try to do a dead lift.  it's all leverage. 

at least in theory......   ;D

alantani

Quote from: thorhammer on August 25, 2016, 02:39:19 PM
Nicely done Boss! Hopefully if there is time, can you show me that spice?

John

we can go over the connections when you come to visit!!!!

David Hall

If you don't want to drag all that heavy gear home with you, just leave it on the boat and I'll bring back with me the next week!