Question for kayak fishing

Started by Bill B, August 23, 2016, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

A buddy invited me to go kayak jigging for salmon on the river this weekend....if by chance I do hook a fish....how do I land it??  Net, gaff, spear..looking for any pointers.....thanks in advance....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ReelFishingProblems

I'm also interested in any kayak fishing pointers, looking to get into kayak fishing in Monterey bay.

pjstevko

Steve-O

Quote from: TARFU on August 23, 2016, 06:44:27 PM
A buddy invited me to go kayak jigging for salmon on the river this weekend....if by chance I do hook a fish....how do I land it??  Net, gaff, spear..looking for any pointers.....thanks in advance....Bill

Net the fish unless you don't mind poking a hole in your fish with a gaff.  I have been kayak fishing for a number of years and always net the fish. Halibut over 40# should be harpooned, IMO.

The link is a good site I peruse.

Also try here.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/

A dry suit is highly recommended. Plus a PFD, knife on your vest, whistle, and all the other safety gear associated with cold water safe boating.

Mythic Gear has the best deal on drysuits hands down, IMO. Kokatat are top of the line. Mine is a GUL.

http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

https://kokatat.com/shop/mens/dry-suits

http://www.gul.com/sail/mens/drysuits

Remember where the head goes the body follows....meaning if you lean to look over the side of your yak, you will follow and have a swim.

Some flat water kayak experience would be a big bonus.  I certainly don't want to scare you away from your adventure but you should be comfortable and confident but not complacent on the water in or on a Tupperware® Boat.

FatTuna

If you are going to let the fish go, I'd just get a dehooker. Leave it in the water and shake it off the hook. If are you are going to keep it, EGO makes a good kayak fishing net.

oc1

Remember, when the fish starts circling the boat you must have a rod that can reach out past the bow and the stern when you are seated in the cockpit.  

Consider getting a lip grip, aka Boga Grip, instead of a net or gaff.  It doesn't take up any space in the boat.  I like the all plastic one better than the Boga style.  For catch and release I mash down the barbs and do like FatTuna says... shake it off or use pliers or removal tool as necessary.

-steve

coastal_dan

All great tips, I kayaked fish from a Hobie for a few years.  All of my keepers were able to be netted; I had an EGO floating net that floated.  A big key that I try to tell folks, TIE EVERYTHING DOWN...i just use old phone cords with zip ties and a little shrink wrap with a Carabiner on each end; worked like a charm.

If you get a really big fish there is a leg technique where you put one leg into the water and pull the fishes head up the leg as far as you can, then using your leg you leverage the fish up into the boat (this is for none toothy critters).  There are some videos on you tube.

Good luck!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

SoCalAngler

I'd net the fish because I assume there is a size limit. If short this aids in a healthy release.  Now if you know it is a gaffable fish then you may want to go that route.

I have made several small gaff's either from a broken rod or a dowel/old broomstick. On these small gaff's I like to use a double hook, the kind of ones you find on tuna feathers. I buy the hooks, pinch down or file off the barbs on the hooks, attach the hook with a stainless screw so it will not pull of the gaff and lastly wrap the hooks shaft to the dowel/pole with tuna cord so the hook will not move sideways with only the screw holding it to the rod.

These double hook gaffs are pretty common here in SO Cal for our barracuda and work very good on say smaller fish like under 25 lbs. They also work good for head shots so you don't screw up fillets on smaller sized fish.   

Gfish

Great idea SoCalAngler, a double tuna hook ona skinny rod. Been using a 3 prong pole spear, but you gotta hit 'em right or or you could tear the hook out. Most guys I've seen also take a club for "in the yak control". SteveO's right, watch the leaning and reaching. Best safe thing I did was on-purpose, shallow water, tip-overs. Let's you know the yaks tipping point and how difficult righting your boat is and climbing back in
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mizmo67

The one time I went kayak fishing I forgot a) some kind of net and b) something to put fish into.
Fortunately I struck out on the perch, so didn't need either one, lol
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ReelFishingProblems

Currently I have a tandem sit-on-top kayak but I want to buy a solo fishing kayak. I look at the tandem and get all kinds of Frankenstein ideas. What if I mounted a raised seat to the middle of it? There would be tons of storage room. Mount a trolling motor next. I wonder if my wife would pretend like she didn't know me if she saw me on the water?  ;D

oc1

If you don't mind paddling the tandem you already have a lot of extra buoyancy to accommodate more stuff.  There's a lot of possibilities, but raising the center of gravity often doesn't end well.   Trolling motors have been done and reported, but I can't remember where; maybe SOL or the TX Kayak forum.
-steve

David Hall

A fisherman caught a great white tooth with his yak out in monterey bay a few weeks back!

Steve-O

I get to use the lodge kayak in Alaska when I'm off the river and on the salt.  Orca country up there, plus humpbacks galore but no real shark problem on the inside waters. The lodge caught an 8' blue shark last week on the outside.

The west coast guys and gals  on Hobie Mirage drive yaks have a real nice imitation Seal presentation and silhouette with those flapping flippers under the hull about the same location as the flippers on a seal.

Kind of like a giant lure with bait on it.  ::)

Bryan Young

Don't forget you are required to have a net on board. I think it needs to be at lease 18" in diameter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D