Question for kayak fishing

Started by Bill B, August 23, 2016, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Just one other thing then fishing in larger shark areas for me I'd stay away from the yellow kayaks. Around here they call this color yum yum yellow. It seems the larger sharks like to follow and bump this color way more than other color yaks.

Steve-O

RowdyW

Is that to wrap the shark's dinner for Take Out. ;D ;D

erikpowell

Always double check your drain plug is in place before you paddle away.... Always   ;)

and I carry a breakdown spare paddle in my boat. pool noodles around the shafts also add handy emergency flotation.

Bill B

yak update....a friend let me borrow his 12' Ocean Kayak today....loaded it up with all the tethers for the rod (in a rod holder), paddle, and gear bag, strapped on my life vest with emergency knife attached, headed out on the Sacramento River to drift and jig for salmon....took a couple hundred yards to get comfortable, adjust some gear on the yak for comfort, and started my first drift....just as I started my first drift a boat hooked up and a 13 lber right in front of me  >:(  so paddled 50 yards up from them and resumed my drift...no luck....as I neared the end of my drift a 25' Striper was passing me and his engine quit....he called out to another boat for a tow to a nearby boat ramp (maybe a 1/2 mile up river) AND THEY SAID NO, WE'RE GOING THE OTHER WAY!!!!!! 

Well I paddle over to see what I could do, yeah Im in a kayak but gotta help.....the driver asked if I would paddle over to another boat ask ask them for a tow....they were very reluctant to help and stated "tell them we will help when we finish our drift".....so I paddled back to give him the news.....now we are just nearing the docks at Sherwood Harbor and RV park so I offer to pull him to the dock he said "THANK YOU SO MUCH" .  I grabbed his bow line and paddle for all I got and got him to the dock..and gave him the only beer I had on the yak..Im sure getting my workout today  ;D

I leave him at the dock, as he has called for help on the cell phone, and start up river for another drift and suddenly his motor roars to life and the poor guy guns it to get back to the launch ramp before the motor dies again....ever been waked by a 25' Striper with a 175 hp motor on the back  :P That was fun.......anyway no fish for me today but learned a lot.

Im sure none of the other boaters were members here because I KNOW YOU WOULD HAVE HELPED !!!!!!  Ohana my Brothers and Sisters.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Bill,
You have a heart of gold.
There is no way I'm towing a boat with only paddle propulsion.
I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13. It is Yum Yum yellow and fast as hell on the water.
I bought it for only one thing. Get the bait out and get back.
No matter how many times I do it. 300 yards out with a bloody bait dripping in the water, it never seems relaxing.
It doesn't matter how calm the surf is, that far out, you are like a bobber.
Drop it and paddle like hell back.
Sharks can't see colors, The yum, yum factor is a myth.
I am 225 lbs, but all that is in my yak is me, a carbon fiber paddle and a 20/0 circle hook with a big bait on it.
If its dark, you can add a light stick and a head lamp.
Always with a life Jacket. No exceptions. Ever!!
Life is Good!

oc1

Helping the guy out is one thing, but GIVING HIM YOUR ONLY BEER!!!  There are limits.
-steve

Bill B

Luckily I only had to pull him about 25 yds....I'd pull hard on the bow line, paddle another 10' pull hard again, until I could get him near the dock....we were lucky it was at slack tide and no wind otherwise he might be at the Golden Gate by now...it was just sad no one would take the time to help a boater....gonna try it again tonight hoping for salmon steaks for dinner...ohhh yeah need to pick up some beer on the way home (For after the paddle....wouldnt want to spill me beer  ;D)   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Sharkhunter, can sharks see shades? There's a-lot of yellow kayaks relative to whats out there. Mabey that's why thet get bumped so often.
Update from last post on this topic. Flipped my boat several days ago trying to get on my knees, reach over the seat and get the back hatch open. The wind'll blow a boat sideways to the waves. Then any slight lack a balance and you're over! When the initial shock wore off, that damed Jaws theme music started playing in my head, man it's been 31yrs. since I saw that movie at the drive-in(Tiger shark waters here). I found out though, that a 12 ft. Yak is tough to turn back over when you're floating in your PFC. Not at all like practicing in chest high water. Also, an upside down boat is all but impossible to paddle back to shore(seat n' rod/reels, etc. hanging down, yak filling with water, no balance for sitting). So it was back in the water and kick while pushing( that theme music serenading me again) and it barely went back over.
So it was great experience for me, but I think it's best to practice in deeper water and not to be to stupid/risky when fishing in the ocean and lanyards for everything!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Steve-O

here's a how to video on re-entering your yak in deep water.  I know watching is not the same as doing.  This may show some technique for easing the experience.

Gfish

Thank you Steve-O! From now on, it's pull the yak back right-side up, from the oppsite side.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Gfish on September 30, 2016, 06:21:29 PM
Thank you Steve-O! From now on, it's pull the yak back right-side up, from the oppsite side.
Gfish

FWIW, unless your kayak's super heavy like a Hobie or abnormally wide, I find uprighting a capsized kayak's easier than they show if you reach under the kayak to the far-side side handle with one hand, and pull it towards you while using your other hand to push the near-side of the boat up out of the water. Or doing it from the bow or stern if you happen to be there already. Launching yourself out of the water takes a lot more energy than just flipping the kayak while you stay in the water. Try both ways, and see what you discover, regardless of what you determine, it's very worthwhile to practice re-entry in low-stakes waters until it's automatic.

Also, beware the temptation to leash everything to the boat. It's easy to get tangled. I prefer to put floats on everything but the paddle (pool noodles for me). I do leash the paddle so if I take an unexpected swim, I still have a tether to the boat.

Gfish

Gotta try that out. Sounds like there's more turning force with both pulling and pushing at the same time. Mine's a "yum yum yellow" 12'x33" hobie with peddle/flipper or paddle drive, about 80-85lbs. with gear(-anchor) so it might be a no go, but need ta test it. Love the float thing. What if a big fish takes yer rod/reel though?
After using the peddle drive with a easy to reach rudder control, I can't see myself ever going back to just paddling. Most a the time I have both hands freed up for casting or whatever else. I really think it's the only way to ocean fish, unless you'er always anchored when actually fishing.
Gfish

Shark Hunter

Hey G,
Its not so much the yellow. Its that it has High Contrast in the water.
They can see very well, but are color blind.
I wanted a camo kayak. In black and white or green and white. My Wife had a fit until I bought the yum yum yellow. ::)

My Boy Mike on his way back in from a Drop that yielded a 11'5" Hammer head!

Life is Good!

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Gfish on September 30, 2016, 10:41:36 PMLove the float thing. What if a big fish takes yer rod/reel though?
Gfish

I've never had a big enough fish on the end of the line, but if it ever happens to me, I'll let ya know!

In all seriousness though, my thought is I don't kayak fish with anything I can't stand losing.  I'd rather donate gear to the deep than donate myself to it.