Need help with my Accurate squidder spool

Started by timtastic, August 24, 2016, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timtastic

Hi Everyone,
First time posting on this site. The spindle in my Accurate 145 spool has come loose. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

Bill B

Welcome Tim, would it be possible to post photos of the spool and the spindle?  It would help us better diagnose the issue......be patient I'm sure someone will chime in with a good fix....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

It might be possible to clamp the spool in a drill press & drill a hole crosswise through the arbor and install a roll pin or steel dowel to lock it in place.     Rudy

timtastic

Here's the spool:

If I do drill through the spool and into the spindle to put a pin in there, do I go straight through, or part way? And what size pin?

Is there another way? I can imagine I'd be compromising the strength of the spindle by doing this.

alantani

yeah, seen this before.  never did come up with a good answer.  grinding down a flat face to the spool shaft and then drilling and tapping a set screw might be the best way.  not sure there is really a good answer.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

timtastic

Bummer. flattening the shaft and installing a set screw sounds interesting, might give that a shot.

Will let you know how it goes.

RowdyW

I would drill it all the way through the arbor & use a pin length the same as the arbor diameter.

PacRat

Try this:
Loctite has several products in the 600 series and you can check their website to find the one best suited for your repair. You can save some money by purchasing from the major auction site. I purchased mine from Malaysia and the price was right but turned out to be a pain because the vendor required a signature upon delivery via USPS. You can also order through Walmart or McMaster-Carr.
Mike

PacRat

I would first contact Accurate and see if they'll just fix it for you. If not; I would clean it and use an adhesive (like in the video) first before cross-pinning. If you do cross-pin it; use stainless steel as brass will likely react with the aluminum.
Mike

sdlehr

Is there a crack on plastic on the arbor anywhere that would account for this loosening up?

So, imagining it was originally press-fit and something has worn so the fit is not so tight any more, why not give a 5-min epoxy a go (this really isn't much different than PacRat's suggestion with loctite)? Roughen up the shaft with some sandpaper, do the same on the inside of the arbor, mix up some epoxy, slather it on the shaft and just put the sucker back together, clean up the drips and let 'er set up overnight. If you do it well it ought to hold up at least as well as the original press fit (probably better, this one didn't fare so well).

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

timtastic

I never really gave adhesives much of a thought until you guys mentioned it. So I gave it a shot with some two part slow curing epoxy and so far so good. feels pretty solid and it withstands the reel's maximum drag.
Will keep you all posted on how it works out long term.

Thanks!!