Zombie 155 Beachmaster

Started by mo65, August 24, 2016, 05:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

If a fishing reel starred in AMC's "The Walking Dead" this is surely how it would look. I wanted to get a 155...like I had as a teen...so I bought this heap. It was cheap, and I liked the spool and handle knob. I scored some nice posts, rings, and a stand cheap too. The replacement parts are period correct...no numbers. All costs including shipping and I'm still under $30, not too shabby for a mid-late 40s 155. 8)

Wow, what a mess! I love doing restorations though...it's most of the fun of collecting! This one won't be mint, just a nice clean vintage reel.

If you've ever ridden motorcycles, you know what a "basket case" is. This thing was a major basket case. The internals were as bad as the outside parts, but a vinegar soak and some lube did wonders, it actually ended up being very smooth.

Holy Buckets!! :o Is this the same reel? ???

This photo shows the nice no-number stand...just like the original...but easier on the eyes.

I just love these picture tail plates. The 155 was my first Penn, so this reel feels like an old friend.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Well done, Mo. Funny how these things take on a personality.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Nice work there. 

This is why we love them old Penns.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Turned out fantastic!  Great job...I agree, the feeling of giving these reels new lives is splendid.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mo65

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 25, 2016, 02:15:58 PM
Mo; did you utilize the old rings?

No, rings, posts, and stand are replacements. All other parts cleaned up nicely...but these rings are horrible!

theswimmer

Really nice work Moe. Really nice.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mizmo67

Wow, that cleaned up purdy, Mike!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

basto

That`s a beautiful Penn. Love that spool. It really makes that reel special for me. Great job!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on August 25, 2016, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on August 25, 2016, 02:15:58 PM
Mo; did you utilize the old rings?

No, rings, posts, and stand are replacements. All other parts cleaned up nicely...but these rings are horrible!

You were able to order a stand with no number? Or you had that hanging around?
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 25, 2016, 06:43:44 PM
Quote from: mizmo67 on August 25, 2016, 06:10:05 PM
Wow, that cleaned up purdy, Mike!

Yes Mo, and thank you for straightness me out on with side goes where on the 65 Long Beach ;D ;D

Joe
Yeah, Joe, you can't easily tell by looking at the reel but those posts in the front are not the same distance from the foot as the posts in the back... been there, done that :)

Sid
Sid Lehr

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on August 25, 2016, 10:57:43 PM
You were able to order a stand with no number? Or you had that hanging around?

The stand, posts, and rings were bought on fleabay. I had even noticed the stand was not numbered from the pics. The new parts aren't perfect...but their character matches the other reel components very well. The greatest thing about this project was making the transformation myself rather than just buying a sweet 155. AND...total cost was under $30! 8)

Thanks everyone for the compliments!