older Quantum Iron reels

Started by GeorgeN, August 24, 2016, 07:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeN

I am trying to help out a good friend who has some Quantum Iron fresh water reels that he wants me to try and repair.  They are the older round casting reels that were made a number of years ago.  I believe these reels were actually manufactured in Japan for Quantum.  From what he tells me, they may need some parts, such as anti-reverse bearings.  Can anyone help me with possible sources for parts for these reels?  I will be getting the reels, schematics, and parts list shortly and I am just looking in advance for information.  Thanks, George Santee, CA :)

handi2

If you can post pictures of the parts it will be much easier to fing them. I'm sure we can get the anti revers bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

GeorgeN

Yes thanks.  I will be able to provide more info when I actually receive the reels and schematics.  Since the Quantum Iron reels were made in Japan, I am wondering if another manufacturer over there made them for Quantum........Shimano, Daiwa, etc. and the parts would be available from those supply channels.  Most anti reverse bearings are very similar.  Perhaps another brand would work if the size was identical  Thanks, George

handi2

George the reel companies don't make their bearings so yes one can be found to fit.

Tackleservice.com is where I buy parts for many different reels. They are the Zebco company and the reels parts they carry are Quantum, Fin Nor, Van Staal, and Zebco.

The parts and bearings are amazingly cheap.

The anti reverse bearing for the Fin Nor Lethal 100 is $3.64 and it fits many different manufacturers reels including the Penn Torque 300, and some Shimano larger round reels. You may have to use the original inner sleeve.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

GeorgeN

Thank you so much for this information.  It will give me a great starting point to find the parts I will need to work on my friends old iron reels.  You have been a great help.  Once I start working on the reels I will kepp you posted on my progress.
Thanks again, George >+)))><

cbar45

Hello,

Are these the older gold-colored Quantum Irons? I was in the same boat a few years back with the larger 425/35 surf series. Bearings and soft drag washers can be replaced--just need a pair of calipers to measure ID, OD, and thickness. I found the 425 Iron handle to be a direct swap with that from a Daiwa Mlionaire; even the lock screw fit perfectly. However, parts that are specific to the reel (such as spools, frames, and sideplates), have long been discontinued and are tougher to find replacements for. Hope this helps, GL.

Chad

GeorgeN

Yeah Chad the good thing is that bearings are pretty universal.  The bearings that are bad on these particular reels are the anti reverse bearings.  Once I get hold of the reels and schematics I can measure what I am dealing with and I am sure I will be able to find suitable replacements.  I am pretty sure these reels are freshwater size Quantum Irons.  Once I get the reels and the schematics I will know for sure what specific models I will be dealing with and I will do a followup post,  Thanks for you input.  George Santee, CA

GeorgeN

I finally got the model information relative to my friend's old Quantum Iron reels.  They are Quantum IRC300's and are round silver bait casters.  These reels are 1998 vintage Quantums. 

The part numbers I will be searching for are as follows:  Anti Reverse Bearings ZW063-02,
Drag Washers JX059-01B, Kick Lever Part QV077-01, and  Thumb Bar Part QV009-01.

I have already signed on to Tackleservice.com, as suggested by "handi2", and the only information they have on these reels is the schematic/parts list.  If anyone out there knows of parts support for the IRC300,  your help would be appreciated.  I am pretty sure there are aftermarket bearings and drag washers that will work, but not so sure about model specific Kick Lever or Thumb Bar.  George Santee, CA