5+1 drag kits in Cortez side plates

Started by Swami805, August 24, 2016, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I recieved 2 sets of the new Cortez side plates and they look great. I'm having a bit of handle bind with the 5+1 drag kits. I can see where the main gear is rubbing on the side plate slightly by the marks it leaves in the grease. I put the stock 3+1 back in and the problem goes away. The donor reels were s332-5 so I'm thinking if I replace the gear with p series gears with the recess in the bottom that may cure it. Anyone have the same problem? The fit and finish is very nice and otherwise the reels are butter. Thoughts. Thanks in advance
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

I have not seen one so I don't know if Tom cut them deep enough or not. The best solution I have is to use a small diameter Belleville washer than the standard Newell washer. Every time I have that problem on a standard plate it goes away with the smaller OD Belleville that Bryan ships with his kits.

Swami805

Those are the ones I used but it looks like either the top washer is rubbing or the top of the main gear  it's not grinding metal but I can feel it binding and the grease is pushed away from the rubbing. I think if I had a thinner under gear washer that might help. Ive tried both the cf washer and the stock under gear but they areabout the same thickness. I'm trying to avoid pulling alert another reel if I can to get a 4+1 main gear. Thanks

Bryan Young

Try cranking down on the star to produce about 5#-8# of drag and break in the drag washers slowly.  This should allow excess grease to be pushed out while properly coating the drag washers better as it compresses together.

I only know of one reel that has had this problem and he was using HT-100s 3-stack set up and his Newell Belleville was touching the side plates.  I sent him a few Bellevilles to see if it fixes the problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

bigggfish

I used 5+1 on all four of my kits and had no problems.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Swami805

It could be me for sure, same thing on both of mine. Were you using the gear from a 3+1 or 4+1? I tried tightening the drag and no luck. It's just a tiny bit too tall in there so it binds enough to be noticeable. Put the old stack back in one and it's buttery. I have the 5+1 in my stock Newells and there flawless. Anyway, I have some lamb chops and baked potatoes beckoning, A good nights sleep and maybe and another crack at it manana. Thanks

Bryan Young

Please post pics of the drag stack height between the two and the the washers layout.

Oh and if you could post a pick of the internal gear where the washers sit as well.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D