Great White Nursery discovered!

Started by sdlehr, August 26, 2016, 04:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Seems that female Great Whites go off Long Island to give birth. It will be interesting to combine all the tag data from all the sharks.... could it be that Montauk is the birth place of every Great White on the planet?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ocearch-great-white-sharks-birthing-site-montauk-long-island-discovered-chris-fischer/

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mizmo67

Wow...wonder if they are like geese...coming back to birth where they were born?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sdlehr

Quote from: mizmo67 on August 26, 2016, 05:13:11 PM
Wow...wonder if they are like geese...coming back to birth where they were born?
More like Salmon or Stripers.... but I would say the current belief is that most migratory oceanic species have specific breeding grounds that have been working for them for millions of years, and their yearly migrations take them through these areas at just the right time of year for the weather to cooperate for the next generation. It's a finely-tuned machine. John will know more about this; I expect him to check in momentarily; this post is right up his alley.

Sid
Sid Lehr

humboldtdan

They also give birth off southern/central California, probably Mexico, too.  It is not uncommon for commercial/recreational fishermen to catch newborns off Cali.  They have managed to put a couple in Monterey Bay Aquarium until they started eating everyone so had to release.  I would guess some off Australia/New Zealand as well.

Tightlines667

This past decade with the advent, and application of better tagging technologies (and remote sensing), we have learned a great deal about a number of highly migratory species.  Great Whites happen to be one of those species the public takes great interest in.  Nursury grounds, and pupping grounds (in species that give live birth), are not always synonymous, or static.

Oceanographic conditions, and persistent features are constantly changing, but regional, and seasonal consistencies and parallel species migratory behaviors do exist.  Typically wide-ranging, Pelagic species that lay eggs try to spawn in areas where the young will have the best chance to survive past their survivability threshold.  This means spawning in large relatively homogeneous areas of low productivity  (less predation).  Conversely species such as Makos, and Great Whites, that are born at a size that have already past their survivibility threashold are better off being brought into the world in areas (and at times) where there is an ample supply of suitably sized prey.  

Reproductive timing in most species is often dictated by condition.  Adults require great energy and resources to develop their reproductive resources.  So most spawning,  and birthing occurr at a time when the adults have had access to the greatest amount of resources.  

Migrations aim to take advantage of shifts in these resources, which are often dictated by changing Oceanographic conditions.

Modern research is shedding much light on the temporal spatial characteristics of these shifts.  Many interesting patterns are emerging, but most make perfect sense when viewed from the bioenergetic perspective.

Hope that makes some sense?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

We are next to a Greater Hammerhead nursery ground.  The pupping ground is about three miles away.  The pups show up at the end of July when they're only several weeks old then gradually move to deeper water.  You never see the females and they are not feeding when they're here.  They mate after pupping.  I've had amorous males swim right up to my white canoe before realizing I'm not what they were after.
-steve

sdlehr

Cool, Steve, Where are you? Where is this hammerhead nursery?

Sid
Sid Lehr

oc1

Hi Sid.  Kaneohe Bay.  Famous for it.  There are some papers out of Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology that describe growth and survival.  In my opinion, the pups need better protection for the first few months because they are really gullible. 
-steve

Penn Chronology

I have been a Chris Fischer fan for many years. I will be fishing out of Montauk in about a week, was talking to my friend that lives there about the Great Whites last night. Two young sharks have been found and there are also some active parents swimming around. Montauk is an exciting place;;

Swami805

I'm a big Chris Fischer fan too. I really enjoyed the series he did about their tagging expedition to Guadalupe Island. I hope they'll put together one for the work they're doing now.
Previously He had a fishing show about traveling by boat down the coast of North  and Central America and fishing all along the way. Not your standard fare fishing show, more like a travelogue with some fishing mixed in. Worth a watch if you can find it on the internet. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuotePreviously He had a fishing show about traveling by boat down the coast of North  and Central America and fishing all along the way. Not your standard fare fishing show, more like a travelogue with some fishing mixed in. Worth a watch if you can find it on the internet.

I used to watch that old show. He seemed to have a great relationship of family and friends on that fantastic trawler. Great show, Mr. Fischer is a good man, his goal has always been to respect the seas.

sdlehr

You know, as much as we marvel at these magnificent beasts and see the utility in their study and protection, if in November a ballot entry was made, "Should we exterminate all the White sharks in US waters" it would probably pass overwhelmingly. I have a nephew, an avid surf fisherman in NJ, who won't go in the water further than his ankles.

Jaws was a great movie, but it didn't do the sharks any good. Sure, it made us aware, but along with that awareness should have come at least a modicum of appreciation for the importance of individuals at every level of the food chain.

Sid
Sid Lehr

mizmo67

QuoteReproductive timing in most species is often dictated by condition. 

Makes perfect sense to me, John!

Saw that with my newest betta fish.
Got him in the usual little round container. Poor things.

Set him up in the little tank with great circulation, his own little house, and a couple of other tank accessories that made him feel happy and home..and the little guy started bubbling the surface  like crazy because he said "Okay...perfect place to start a family".

Didn't know they make bubble nests to attract the females.

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

sdlehr

Quote from: mizmo67 on August 27, 2016, 04:59:02 PM
QuoteReproductive timing in most species is often dictated by condition. 

Makes perfect sense to me, John!

Saw that with my newest betta fish.
Got him in the usual little round container. Poor things.

Set him up in the little tank with great circulation, his own little house, and a couple of other tank accessories that made him feel happy and home..and the little guy started bubbling the surface  like crazy because he said "Okay...perfect place to start a family".

Didn't know they make bubble nests to attract the females.

I've seen Bettas make bubble nests in goldfish bowls. I thought John's comment related to body condition - as in, the more plentiful the food -> more reproductive capacity and more food available for the newborn.

Sid
Sid Lehr

oc1

Space is a resource too.  If your trying to persuade a fish to grow and reproduce in captivity, give it more space, not more food.
-steve