Daiwa BG Saltwater 2016: Service Tutorial and First Look

Started by johndtuttle, August 26, 2016, 10:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glos

fck  >>>   

it is to fast 5.3 : 1
that is why

with 3.9 : 1 it would last forewer
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

nelz

11 hours and the reel was whipped! Wow, did you hit it on the rocks or dunk it?  ???

Glos

Quote from: nelz on May 12, 2017, 03:12:33 AM
11 hours and the reel was whipped! Wow, did you hit it on the rocks or dunk it?  ???

I found that video on yt, not mine.
   I would like to ask that Joe what exactly was broken, but I have no account..
really hoped that this daiwa is first decent reel for decent money after a lot of time, but they didn˙t want to do it, obviously..
for 130 $ you can buy a bike, good bike, and that is 20 times the amount of material that goes with it
so what the hell they do to take 130 $ and say it is "good buy"..
not to mention those 1000 $ reels
they all skin fishermen like sheeps

Glos

Glos

exp2000

Quote from: glos on May 17, 2017, 05:14:16 AM
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/573910-daiwa-saltist-sheared-drive-gear/page-3

I often see these with shattered maingears. The through shaft handle design combined with high gear ratio and soft main-gears is a recipe for disaster.

But the BG series does not have the weak through shaft handle design and neither does the latest revision of the Saltist any more for that matter. They have opted for the much stronger screw on handle design.

Daiwa had to do something to fix the doughnut machine.
~

johndtuttle

Quote from: glos on May 18, 2017, 03:08:59 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on May 17, 2017, 04:46:56 PM
Quote from: glos on May 17, 2017, 05:14:16 AM
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/573910-daiwa-saltist-sheared-drive-gear/page-3

That is an older model Saltist. Not this reel at all.
I know, but the malicious decision to make catastrophically bad main gear out of pot metal is persisting

Well then, probably 97% of the spinning reels sold on planet Earth are made out of malice? :)

We have to be fair and say that in fact, the market demands that Daiwa do just that so that more people can afford to go fishing.

This is not a bad thing.  ;)

ez2cdave

I would say that the new Daiwa BG reels would be "almost perfect", if they had a hardened Stainless Steel pinion gear and a Marine Bronze main gear.

In mass production, how much would that add to the selling price . . . $5 - $10 +/- ?

I would gladly pay that little bit extra !

Tight Lines !

Glos

it would add 100$ because it is the production process that is harder and more demanding
but it would be a dream ( with upper part of the main shaft thicker for a 1 mm at least, because now it is way to thin, also stainless wouldn't hurt )
maybe just a little bit better material main gear and it wouldn't add more than 20 $

johndtuttle

Quote from: glos on May 20, 2017, 05:07:30 AM
it would add 100$ because it is the production process that is harder and more demanding
but it would be a dream ( with upper part of the main shaft thicker for a 1 mm at least, because now it is way to thin, also stainless wouldn't hurt )
maybe just a little bit better material main gear and it wouldn't add more than 20 $

And this is why I say a Penn Clash for around that (depending on the size) is the best "performance" entry level reel. It has become Penn's best selling reel for good reason. And it has better sealing around the pinion assembly to protect the guts.

But, fact of the matter (and this is a topic we have discussed ad nauseum), the average sale price of a spinning reel in the USA is like $59-$69...with hundreds of thousands to millions (Daiwa Sweepfire) of units sold yearly. As soon as you reach $99 and above you are getting to rapidly diminishing sales of much more rarely sold "specialty high end" reels...Even the poorest among us that posts on a reel site is an "elite user" compared to the average spinning reel buyer.

Glos

news
are
that it was due to faulty bearings
how can that be when those are the best part of new bg

johndtuttle

Easy, high quality SS bearings still corrode. We can only speculate that salt got inside them, but if so, none are immune.

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 06, 2017, 12:14:21 PM
Easy, high quality SS bearings still corrode. We can only speculate that salt got inside them, but if so, none are immune.

Hmm . . . What about replacing the SS bearings with Ceramic bearings ?

Tight Lines !

johndtuttle

Ceramic bearings have cages and races that rust.

Best is a high quality sealed bearing that is packed with grease or a truly sealed reel.

The bearings on this reel are most definitely exposed to salt. This is perfectly reasonable for a reel at this price. You simply have to take care of it.

It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's good for the money!