Penn Inter 50TW - Drag Issues

Started by Jason Groombridge, August 27, 2016, 07:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day Guys,

This is the other reel I am working on that I alluded to in my other post. So this reel has 2 seized bearings and another that is grindy. The CF drag plate looked pretty bad but I think has cleaned up OK using Handi's method of scrubbing with brass brush and kero.

The metal drag washer is a bit scored but also fairly worn. I also broke one of the screws off removing it.

Photos follow.

Drag washer before cleaning

Drag washer after cleaning

Drag plate

So I think the CF washer has come up OK and can be re-used.

My questions are:

1/Is it possible to get the black gasket that seals the drag cover as a separate part? As you can see in the first photo it is a bit chewed up. If not, is it possible to make another one and what sort of material would I need? Some sort of automotive gasket sheet?

2/ The metal drag disk is fairly worn. When I put a straight edge over the centre raised portion, there is about .005" of wear at the centre and about .008 at the outer edge of the disk. I'm guessing that as it is now tapered from inside to outside, it will be quite difficult to lap this and get it flat again. Should I just replace it?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Jason

mizmo67

Was that gasket something custom added to the 50TW drag cover?
It's not on our schematics and I don't remember seeing it in that reel before.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50tw.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mizmo67

Answered my own question...Penn and their design changes!

Revision #6 from their site
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/407-50TW

156A Drag Cover Seal part 156A050 or 156A-50

We have it in stock
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/156A-50.aspx

Adding revised schematic to my website work pile...sigh.
~Mo

Tightlines667

Great job on the drag!

The drag will function ok with the 3/1000" taper.  I wonder if this is built in at the factory to help eject any worn or foreign material?  Any felt ridges along the plate will take away from the overall smoothness a bit, and will wear the drag material a bit faster.  I usually just replace them when they have visable and felt ridges and marring present.  

You can try hand lapping it with finegrit wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface, such as glass, if you feel up to it.  If you can get the surface polished flat it will perform well.  

It's really a cost/time thing.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

There you go Jason, Scott's has the part.  One can always make a gasket but you need to find gasket material of the same thickness.  Better to buy a new part.  Good job on cleaning up that drag.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Jason Groombridge

G'day All,

Thanks for the replies.

OK so I think I'll leave the drag plate as is. There aren't any ridges on it that I can feel with my fingernail or a pick so hopefully it will work ok.

When I looked up the schematic for this reel on Scott's site, the gasket wasn't listed. I sort of wondered if it had been added by someone as a custom thing but then I looked at my own 50TW and it was there. Of course then I thought it must just come as part of the drag cover and I would have to get a whole a whole new drag cover. But no, Maureen is all over it. Thanks for the info on that one.

I am now wondering what causes a lumpy drag in these reels. This reel had one broken screw that holds down the drag plate and a fair bit of salt accumulated under the plate. I'm guessing that the salt was probably pushing the drag plate up in one spot and this was aided by the broken screw. This would cause a high spot on the plate and lead to the lumpy feeling. Sound like a reasonable explanation?

Would the seized bearings in this reel also contribute to less than optimal drag performance?

Cheers

Jason

mizmo67

QuoteI am now wondering what causes a lumpy drag in these reels. This reel had one broken screw that holds down the drag plate and a fair bit of salt accumulated under the plate. I'm guessing that the salt was probably pushing the drag plate up in one spot and this was aided by the broken screw. This would cause a high spot on the plate and lead to the lumpy feeling. Sound like a reasonable explanation?

Would the seized bearings in this reel also contribute to less than optimal drag performance?

Yes, to both statements.

Salt buildup anywhere in the reel can cause grinding. It would make the drag hitchy.

The bearings should all spin smoothly.
~Mo