The Eclectic Penn 180

Started by Penn Chronology, August 27, 2016, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Recently a friend of mine sent me a 180 that he built out of many different parts. I found it interesting and a good small reel to use with modern braided fishing lines.

Here's a look and brief description;

Can't miss the classic stippled head plate of the Penn 180.

The old style chrome on brass spool is taken from a Surfmaster 100.

Tail plate is off a Penn 155.

Stand is from a Penn 49. This is a massive improvement. It gives this little reel a very solid and rod clamped foundation.

Handle is a modern Penn 3/0 Power Handle. Many different handles can be used. This is is the perfect upgrade in my opinion.

For a very small amount of money, a fisherman can build himself a tough little reel for use with modern lines. I use one of these with a more modern aluminum spool and a Newell Stand. Build with a steel gear set and HT100 drags and you will have a low priced little tank. IMHO.

Ron Jones

I have one with a full Newell kit except for a 100L Penn spool. I really enjoy this size reel and it has been talked about extensively on here.
Now go ketch something with it!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

QuoteNow go ketch something with it!

GOOD GOD MAN!!!!  You want me to get it wet. If I do that it will get rusty!!!!!

basto

This is a little gem of a reel. I have one on the way from USA at present. It has a mottled spool and picture tail plate. Should make a nice pair with my 185.
It`s a loooong wait!!
Basto.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

Beautiful reel, I have a few. That might actually be one of mine, I gave out a few as gifts with similar upgrades.
One is always with me, they're a pleasure to fish with.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteBeautiful reel, I have a few. That might actually be one of mine, I gave out a few as gifts with similar upgrades.
One is always with me, they're a pleasure to fish with.

I know that this is not a new idea here; but, there are other places that are not as savvy as everyone is here. I put this same reel on Facebook and it is like a new innovation. Basically it is a great little reel that turns into a greater reel with some simple upgrades and I wanted to get that info out there. I see friends of mine paying big bucks for these little baby reels from Avet and Shimano. I think this reel can do the same job for a lot less money.

Sal, this is not one of yours. My friend in Maryland built this. I have another one I fish with and another one in the cleaning solution as we speak.. This one will be a gift, I think.

Alto Mare

Mike, just kidding about being one of mine, that would be a heck of a coincidence. ;D
It doesn't matter if it has been done before, it's always nice to see others.
The more the merrier.
A couple of years ago I decided to give one double dogs:
Not that it needs it, but I had to do it ;D.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11652.0
Shark Hunter did one of these as well. 

I've been enjoying everything you share with us, you're an asset to this site.

Thank you  Mike.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

Thank You. This is a great site to spend time at. Learn and have fun at the same time. That is a rare opportunity. :)

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 27, 2016, 02:48:37 PM
I found it interesting and a good small reel to use with modern braided fishing lines.

I agree, my 180 I recently put together works best with braided lines. A very versatile little reel. Wasn't it the one billed as Penn's first aim at freshwater?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteI agree, my 180 I recently put together works best with braided lines. A very versatile little reel. Wasn't it the one billed as Penn's first aim at freshwater?

Yes and that is an interesting observation. All the Light Tackle reels of 1939 were the first Penn reels that suggested a freshwater cross over trait. That trait was the reel's stand. It is mentioned in all the 1939 Light Tackle Reel descriptions.

basto

I see the stand which is called cross plate is different to the stand on the later 180 reels. I think the stands came in two lengths on the later reels also.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

I see the stand which is called cross plate is different to the stand on the later 180 reels. I think the stands came in two lengths on the later reels also.

Basically this is the different stand set up.

Saltwater stand on the left. Freshwater stand on the right.

On the next 180 I built (which actually used a 160 Head plate), I used a Penn 180S stand (seen in the above photo on the left); but, drilled it to accept a Penn 49 rod clamp assembly.

hurt locker

Thanks for the tip about the 30-49 reel seat. one of mine has the smaller fresh water seat and I would like to replace it. Both of mine have aluminum spools and steel gears and I just recently put leather plates from a Daiwa 27SH in the gear and a ht-100 155 under the gear. Very,very smooth 9-10lbs of drag with 30lb mono. They are going with me in November to the James to fish for Blue Cats.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the tip about the 30-49 reel seat. one of mine has the smaller fresh water seat and I would like to replace it. Both of mine have aluminum spools and steel gears and I just recently put leather plates from a Daiwa 27SH in the gear and a ht-100 155 under the gear. Very,very smooth 9-10lbs of drag with 30lb mono. They are going with me in November to the James to fish for Blue Cats.

I would think they are now perfect for the Blue Cats. Aluminum sppol, steel gears, drags you like and a 49 stand. Might out fish a $250 Avet or Shimano Calcutta!

hurt locker

Quote from: Penn Chronology on September 03, 2016, 03:29:31 PM
QuoteThanks for the tip about the 30-49 reel seat. one of mine has the smaller fresh water seat and I would like to replace it. Both of mine have aluminum spools and steel gears and I just recently put leather plates from a Daiwa 27SH in the gear and a ht-100 155 under the gear. Very,very smooth 9-10lbs of drag with 30lb mono. They are going with me in November to the James to fish for Blue Cats.

I would think they are now perfect for the Blue Cats. Aluminum sppol, steel gears, drags you like and a 49 stand. Might out fish a $250 Avet or Shimano Calcutta!

Thanks Mike, actually they are pushing two Fathom 15LW's or 25LW's into back up status. I like the ease of winding in with a 3/1 ratio. Next on the agenda is a set of 3/1's with a bigger set of drags and a larger diameter spool. Not too big though. I think that I have it figured out but if you have any hints, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.