What to look for...

Started by D1FISHR, August 29, 2016, 11:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1FISHR

What should I look for in my first Squidder. I'd like try surf casting next spring. It would likely be a double duty reel for 9'-10' casting and also boat fishing if needed.  Is this feasible?  Are there any models to specifically search for or avoid?

thorhammer

Certainly a great double duty reel. Very little change in its 70 years except one: get aluminum spool. The Beauty there is quick change. 20 lb spool will cast wonderfully and swap to 30 for boat. She's slow but durable. I have several. Go at least ten if not eleven feet or you are short hanging the reels capability.  Use a forty lb shock for surf casting. 

John

fishhawk

those squidders are extremely fast! Mine are heavily magged and still you have to thumb it.

mo65

Like thorhammer said...your first one should have an aluminum spool...it's the best "all around" option. From that point you'll have a huge variety of stock and custom parts to play with. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Let me clarify my statement, so as not to conflict: I meant the gearing is slow, 3.3:1, if memory serves. The spool is indeed fast off the toss as indicated. The old timers used STP in the bell to slow her down, and there are several magging tutorials on the site should you go that route and want to really get down on the cast.

Mike's book has the particulars, but I believe the Squidder debuted about 1937 and ceased production about 2005. Only major design change was the spool material of chromed brass / plastic / aluminum; plate color, handle knobs, clamps and drag material constitute minor changes but cast and retrieve not so much affected. It was the benchmark of surfcasting for at least half that time IMO; until the larger Abu's came out with better cast control (but arguably less durable).

As Joe states, you can do about what you want to on these with upgrades but they fish just fine with carbon drags and a good handle.

John

mo65

Most of my magged reels have removable magnets. Never know when I might get off the river and need a distance cast. Most of my casting amounts more to just chucking it out into the transition.8)
  I'd say my favorite Squidder upgrade is Bryan's 5+1 drag kit...and not for it's max power...for it's buttery midrange. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

anglingarchitect

"for it's buttery midrange." Cool ."for it's buttery midrange."  8) ;D ;)Cool waxing very poetic

Bill B

D1F...I have a couple 140's and could not imagine my quiver without them......spool, gear sleeve, and drags will put his at the top of most fishing short of big yellowtails, and tuna.....Ive been using one to cast off the river bank and it still amazes me with the distances tossing 6 oz's with a 7' rod......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

I squandered my youth with a squidder in my hands and am still very fond of them.  But if I were starting out fresh I'd go with something that has all the modern conveniences.  Higher speed, advanced cast control, sized for using spectra, better corrosion protection, lighter weight, etc.  Fishing with relics is what you do when get bored.
-steve

Rancanfish

I traded my old fishing bud a 320gti for his squidder 140.  I still have it sitting ready.

We were fishing for Leopard sharks out of my boat, with the occasional big ray thrown in.

I can throw my bait way out there with it. I only use mono with it.

I stocked up on 146's and have at least five.  Only one still has a plastic spool.

I think it's the perfect reel for SF area halibut too.  I love the back reel feature if you hook a biggie.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mike1010

Quote from: oc1 on October 06, 2016, 07:19:05 AM
I squandered my youth with a squidder in my hands and am still very fond of them.  But if I were starting out fresh I'd go with something that has all the modern conveniences.  Higher speed, advanced cast control, sized for using spectra, better corrosion protection, lighter weight, etc.  Fishing with relics is what you do when get bored.
-steve

Yes, the new reels are more capable.  Except for the "cool factor," I think most people would be better served by a Fathom 12 star drag than a 146 squidder.  BTW, these seem to have come way down in price.  Check out srmo.com (no affiliation).  If I didn't already have too many reels in that class, I would be all over that.

Mike