Okuma Titus-2 30 Drag Issue

Started by Captainsdc, September 04, 2016, 12:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainsdc

Hi All.   First post here: And of course I've got a drag issue that I hope someone can offer pointers or guidance on how to resolve.

It's a clean Okuma Titus Gold 2-30 which I came across (with box & paperwork including neoprene cover) and went about rebuilding it to make sure it was all good.  I pulled it all apart and cleaned/greased/lubed it per the guide here for the 15-2.  What a great guide!  Everything seemed in top shape to start with very little surface corrosion and nothing bad inside; it looks new inside and out.  I don't have a sonic cleaner for the bearings, but pulled the shields off and shot them up with corrosionX and spun them with my compressor air nozzle then lubed and put the shields back on.  I regreased/lubed everything (black carbon drag washer) and coated all the inside Al surfaces and put her back together with no issues.  Everything felt great and smooth as I could have hoped under all the drag range.

So then I fished a few days (80# rope with 80# topshot on it) and never got to pull on it with fish but she felt fine...  It never got so much as salt spray on it, just gear washdown water.  Next time out, I set the lines (maybe 2 weeks later) and went to test pull that drag and it was jumpy on strike drag.  I mean bad jumpy where I would want a fish to pull on it but it was still smooth on light drag.  So I pulled it apart onboard and checked the pressure plate and washer and they looked and felt fine.  (I don't recall how the freespool felt. Darn.) So I shook my head put a Senator out and punted / put her away.

Now next week I will get home from work and I will be going at her and wonder where to focus.  I bet the free spool will still be good, the drag plate and washer clean and good with a slight residue of Cals still on them and no obvious water intrusion anywhere. Just the jumpy drag with 10-15# or so.

So bearings are about all that's left to check, right?  If it is drag-related, that points to the pinion bearing if previous lessons have stuck in my brain.  Assuming I am on the right track, how should I go about identifying a bad bearing that is good with no load and bad with drag on it.  Are there any tricks or pitfalls like this that others have dealt with?

If I can't resolve it, is there a place in San Diego proper that could take over?  Squidco already said no can do, parts or service.

Once I get home and into it I'll post a follow up.

Thanks for the consideration,
Scott

boon

Pinion bearing shouldn't affect the drag if it's a conventional lever drag design, it only spins with the pinion gear which should be stationary when line is being taken.
Check the left side spool bearing as a start.

Captainsdc

Quote from: boon on September 08, 2016, 01:24:30 AM
Pinion bearing shouldn't affect the drag if it's a conventional lever drag design, it only spins with the pinion gear which should be stationary when line is being taken.
Check the left side spool bearing as a start.

Just got home last night - Jet-Lagged to hell. But I will dig in and see what I can find.

David Hall

Captainsdc

Quote from: David Hall on September 11, 2016, 03:12:26 PM
Pictures might help post them up.
I'm pulling it apart today.  If I find something out of order I will do.

Bryan Young

We have had similar issues with TLDs where the pressure plates were loose.  We installed a shim or in the past, some tape, to take up the gap.  See http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36.0

I'm not sure if the Titus has similar construction though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Captainsdc

Quote from: Captainsdc on September 13, 2016, 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: David Hall on September 11, 2016, 03:12:26 PM
Pictures might help post them up.
I'm pulling it apart today.  If I find something out of order I will do.

I reworked everything and found nothing at all amiss...  No water or corrosion of any kind and the drag plate and washer looked and felt perfect.  I took the bearing shields off the pinion and spool bearings this time and shot them with corrosionX and spun them with compressed air and greased/oiled/reinstalled everything and it seems great again.  I fished it once, but no biters on it.  Of course a different reel went off.

So for now I'll just keep a good check on it before it gets set out again.

Thanks for looking.

ijlal

Did you, by any chance reverse the metal drag pressure plate? What type of drag washer you have? Eared or one glued on to a metal plate? I've had a TG30-II for almost 8 years now, never had any issues with drag. Mine comes with an eared carbotex washer and an identical one made of softer material (probably canvas) that acts as a damper/spacer between the drag washer and the spool.  I have fought marlin and landed a sail on this little beauty among lots of other fish. It still has one of the smoothest drags.

Post some photos of yours if you want somebody to be able to help

Thanks.
I live 'fishing'!

WeyeFisherCO

What kind of grease did you use on the drag washers?  If it's too slippery the drag gets jerky.  Cal's drag grease will work great.