26 FISHERMEN RESCUED FROM FISHING BOAT

Started by Dominick, September 04, 2016, 04:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I think I remember someone on this site mentioning the Invicta fishing boat.  It sank last night all were rescued.  Some cool video of the rescue and the wreckage at this link.  Dominick

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/26-People-Rescued-From-Sinking-Boat-off-Mexican-Coast-392248561.html
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Glad to hear everyone made it safe....God bless the Coast Guard and the civilians that helped......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

nelz

"Fox told NBC 7 people aboard the sinking boat lost all of their fishing gear"

Oh my, this was a tragedy indeed. NO!!! Not the gear!!!  :o

(But seriously, glad they're all ok.)

David Hall

And that is just how easy it can all go bad.  Even an experienced captain and crew it is pretty amazing that everyone stayed calm and did the right things, that wreckage is surreal.  What a way to wake up! 
I gotta get my radar fixed!

STRIPER LOU

Boy, that's some pretty scary wreckage. Glad everyone made it. The big guy upstairs was watching over!
..................Lou

sdlehr

Sounds to me like the captain fell asleep...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

conchydong

foakes

For all of us to remember --

When entering any of Nature's systems such as the wilderness, mountains, ocean, any water -- a life threatening situation can emerge more rapidly then most of us may realize.

When freak or unexpected weather conditions are involved -- it can occur even quicker and deadlier.

That is why it is important to not only have the proper emergency gear -- but everyone needs to know how to use it -- and what to do if an incident occurs.

I am not allowed to go on my solo backpacking trips anymore without a ELT satellite device for emergencies.

We need to realize that there are other folks counting on us getting home safely.  In my younger days -- I just left a basic itinerary of times, trailheads, route, and ETA home.  Now, since the tech is available -- that no longer is the case.  Sissy...maybe -- but better for all concerned.

Many of you on this site are USCG certified, as am I.  And you know the basics and adhere to them.

When I see pics of Alan's outings in his GW with friends and family -- I am always impressed by the folks wearing PFDs.  And I am sure everyone on board has been briefed on emergency procedures.

We were fishing out of Salmon Falls one year, North of Ketchikan, for Salmon and Halibut.

We received a PAN PAN PAN distress call for any vessel in the area to respond -- as a 23' Bayliner Trophy had impacted and run over a partly submerged log -- caused a slow leak that the BPs could barely keep up with.  Plus the lower unit was damaged.

We were 2 miles away and responded immediately.  When we got there, it was exactly as described -- and everyone was waiting in their PFDs.  We inspected the damage as best we could, and transferred the 4 family occupants to our boat. 

Then we saw two other logs that we were able to get a line around -- tow them over to the damaged vessel, and secure them to each side for flotation.

A large Coast Guard cutter around 130' showed up about 40 minutes later to take over and tow the vessel and occupants back to port.

Unfortunately, in the case of the Invicta, there are reports that the Skipper was under the influence when he impacted the rocks. 

Hopefully, this turns out as a false report.

Just be careful and wise.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on September 05, 2016, 05:24:49 PM

Unfortunately, in the case of the Invicta, there are reports that the Skipper was under the influence when he impacted the rocks. 
Fred
Fred, that is just the jerks on Bloody Decks mouthing off.  There is an ongoing investigation.  Sooner or later we will get the information.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Right, Dominick --

Another reason why my only site is AlanTani.com...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

People are always going to talk and I'm sure speculation is high as kite over this incident, the main thing here is zero loss of life and no injuries, except one guy who refused treatment.  If your boat breaks up at sea and you have 25 souls under your watch and they all make it out alive, you've done something to be proud of.  This could easily have turned into an absolute tragedy of great proportion.  Maritime investigations will get to the bottom of it you can be sure of that.  Until then I won't speculate or pay any mind to those who are backseat driving the investigation from their ipad.  things can go wrong in the blink of an eye at sea and in the right conditions you might not even see the danger before you're in the thick of it.

sdlehr

Any more news on what happened here? I've been searching every few weeks-months and come up with nothing. Surely the investigation is over by now?

Sid
Sid Lehr

Keta

Quote from: David Hall on September 05, 2016, 09:23:12 PM
People are always going to talk and I'm sure speculation is high as kite over this incident, the main thing here is zero loss of life and no injuries, except one guy who refused treatment.  If your boat breaks up at sea and you have 25 souls under your watch and they all make it out alive, you've done something to be proud of.  This could easily have turned into an absolute tragedy of great proportion.  Maritime investigations will get to the bottom of it you can be sure of that.  Until then I won't speculate or pay any mind to those who are backseat driving the investigation from their ipad.  things can go wrong in the blink of an eye at sea and in the right conditions you might not even see the danger before you're in the thick of it.

Yup, people have alredy had to take a wiz quiz....The USCG soes not mess around.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

I've done a quick internet search and still don't find a conclusion to this story... anyone know what happened? It's been over a year....

Sid
Sid Lehr

Dominick

Sid it seems that the story ended in Sept. 2016.  I even went to the coastguard site.  No new information.  Dominick