Thorhammer goes to skool on the Left Coast- trip report

Started by thorhammer, September 13, 2016, 09:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Finally got pics to download and a minute to scribe some commentary. Wayne has done a great job with the Argo trip, a lesson for me in how to document appropriately vs. just taking random shots of shiny baubles.

A bit of commentary before we fly out: The Tani's are as gracious and wonderful hosts as one will ever meet. Alan felt like crap due to allergies the whole time I was there and was still all over the place making sure everything was just so. Those that know him already know this, but I saw first hand how these folks help their fellow man. Alan's generosity and benevolence are far larger than what's on that site, and that's considerable enough.....

JV: I shouted out Jon on his link. What a nice guy and the top of the heap on all things rods.

As much as I went out to fish, I went more to meet the AT gang and learn everything I could absorb to reapply back at home base. I will say that Alan is extremely detail oriented and systematic in fishing (no surprise there), but even more so in the measures he takes to guarantee the safety of the crew....more about that later. He was suffering from some really nasty allergy the whole time I was there and still was a whirling dervish to ensure everything was just so...

Picture worth a thousand words, so let's go! This post will take me several casts to complete....without further ado...

thorhammer

Leaving RDU, sporting shark socks in solidarity for Daron who isn't going to be able to do his Sept trip this year. Alan picked me up at airport, we prepped boat, and enjoyed a wonderful ribeye dinner prepared by Joy and Allison. Didn't get pics there....a learning point for me.

thorhammer

Debarked Thursday with Nick and Mati for a little lingcod and rockfish outing...my first exposure to this. Easy ride out, nice sunrise. Note aft starboard corner where Alan has an extra cooler mounted on the Euro transom and lashed down, freeing cockpit footprint. Starboard cutting board with splash wings permanently mounted on top of this one. Note flexible hose nozzle mounted to center cutting board: it has a quick disconnect so the raw water washdown hose can be quickly hooked to the fish cleaning station for hands free operation...great touch.

Note safety vests: Alan has ALL rigged with radio, lightstick, strobe, whistle, and you wear them while running. Also, inflatable raft, epirbs, multiple fire extinguishers, etc.

thorhammer

Alan with a nice 15 lb lingcod. I was pretty busy trying catch my hitchhikers so didn't take all that many pics. Gear was Daiwa linecounter with braid on light Trevala rods, a very nice setup for this application whether using bait or jigging. Gotta a couple of the linecounters, really quantifies jigging for suspended fish...taking that page back to NC on stripers in submerged structure...layed out pretty nice for the ride in; Alan cleaned up all the fish and disbursed them. Neighbor Jeff received a nice cod and a couple rockfish for dinner on Friday night.

thorhammer

Municipal lake on way home from rockfishing.

Headed out early on the Argo on Friday with Captain Craig. Wayne already showed the tackle wonderfully so I won't belabor that particular point. Very smooth day on the water, but it took a bit of searching to get on the fish. We had a hit on my rod (actually my man Steve was kind enough to let me fish his narrowed Surfmaster, smooth as butttahhhhh...) which I promptly lost, five decades of setting a hook and pulling rods up out of downriggers to set not able to be un-imprinted by Alan's coaching on the ride up. Barbless hooks are required, so steady delicate pressure is required, meaning there is no hookset or yanking rod quickly out of holder...the angler reels continuously against appx. 3 lbs of drag, whether fish is taking line or not. New one on me....Dominick lost one also, and I left the safety strap off about a dozen times....

thorhammer

We found the fleet and got the skunk out...and by fleet I mean I lost count at 81 that I could see around us, including a guy boating a salmon on an orange kayak. A large GWS had been spotted in the area earlier; I can't help but think that kayak looked and smelled like a big shark Cheezit....

Alan was deckhand for the day and was everywhere, untangling lines, throwing me a sammich, netting fish....

Mati and Dominick on the board....

thorhammer

MONEY SHOT, my first salmon! That pic with the fellas is going up on the wall of fame.

After that, things got kind of crazy with several multiple hookups, re-rigging from hits...we had a bit of glorious, piscatorial pandemonium for a hot minute so I didn't get it all, being rather bent on actually fishing then. 

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on September 13, 2016, 09:49:01 PM
Barbless hooks are required, so steady delicate pressure is required, meaning there is no hookset or yanking rod quickly out of holder...the angler reels continuously against appx. 3 lbs of drag, whether fish is taking line or not.

Yep...this sounds a lot like my learning curve of switching from standard J hooks to circles. A big Roland Martin hookset yanks that circle hook right out the fishes mouth! Sounds like you fellas had a great trip...thanks for sharing the fun! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

The gang with the haul.

Many thanks to Alan for putting this together, and on a deal, and mating. I could not ask for a better five guys to fish with. The whole day was entertaining, even riding a long ride...great folks in general and all with unabashed passion for fishing, food and the outdoors. My first trip to the Bay Area, so a treat for me to see the Rock and the Golden Gate bridge up close.

thorhammer

The weather faired off beautifully for the ride in to the harbor, and we were greeted by the harbor seal who knew where his next meal was coming from....said goodbyes and packed up for home and a fantastic family style Chinese dinner at the Tani's neighbor Jeff's house. Also a great group of folks, and the food was simply phenomenal.

thorhammer

We decided to drop back and punt Saturday, both needing a break. I hung out in the garage with Joey while Alan got a Benadryl-forced respite. I was tasked with finding reel covers for a set of Accurates, so I after two hours wading through tackle and brass I found all but two...then Alan, freshly rested and with a clear head, sticks his hand in a tote I'd been in at least twice and pulls out about ten more....I think he had them in his pocket lol.

Next stop...Linda and Dominick's for paella!!!! Will someone PLEASE right my sideways pics, thank you.

Most of the characters will smell familiar from earlier, Tony the Rockfish Ninja also joined. Thanks to Bryan for driving, I really enjoyed the face time. Boys and girls, Bryan, Alan and I had some interesting dialogue about a future project that will be of great interest....we'll see how it progresses....

hurt locker

thorhammer

Mo dinna pics....fantastic paella and vino, with a splash of Maker's for the requisite garage visit to D's bench.

I only flew back to NC to install my new AT handles  ;D. a quick load of laundry and now back to work in Pa. Alan rather humorously indicated I left with a "goody bag" from the reel shop...it was more like Santa forgot his haul....

Thank you, my brother!

P.S., about Thorhammer: It's the moniker I came up with fifteen years ago to name the rods I was building, having some Norse in the woodpile, Boy Scout and HS mascot being Viking, and nickname in college of Thor (from being very competitive at the beer drinking of Viking).

Salut!!!!!!

alantani

dinner was great.  i was looking at the bugs and decided to pass.  i wasn't sure what part was edible.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

John,
That was one awesome report! You were among royalty. I'm sure it felt that way too. ;)
Great to see those shots of Dominick cooking up a feast. :P
I know you enjoyed yourself. I thank you again for taking me along. ;D
Salut!
Life is Good!