Ryobi V-Mag 3 Schematic

Started by mrmike, September 14, 2016, 05:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmike

Hey all - I came across a Ryobi V-Mag 3 baitcaster a few weeks ago on EBay and after finding a lot of positive reports I bought a couple. My original intent was a first baitcaster for my 12 year old grandson. It's a tiny thing! Smaller than the original Shimano Bantams. What I couldn't find was a schematic except Ebay so I ponied up. I specialized in early Shimano repair, tuning and horse trading but I'm curious about this Ryobi given the ties between the two companies years ago. Anyway, it's attached. I can't recommend it yet but I figure an energetic 12 year old will put it to the test.
And thanks to Alan and all of you for sharing your knowledge, opinions, BS and jokes on this board. You all help keep me entertained when I'm not fishing.
Mike
"It's about the fishin' boy not the fish. Understand that and fishin' can teach you much."
Grandpa Albert

oc1

That's really interesting MrMike.  Thank you for posting it. I never heard of that reel and may go looking for one in a few months after your have bought what you need.  You can definitely see the Lew Childers and Shimano influences but it's quite a bit later.  Do you happen to know the year(s)?  If it is ever convenient, can you let us know the spool dimensions or side plate dimensions to get a better idea of size?
-steve

Brendan

I'm pretty sure that's one I owned in the early 80's. That was pre Alan Tani and all of my light stuff didn't last long back then.

mrmike

Quote from: oc1 on September 14, 2016, 08:49:21 PM
That's really interesting MrMike.  Thank you for posting it. I never heard of that reel and may go looking for one in a few months after your have bought what you need.  You can definitely see the Lew Childers and Shimano influences but it's quite a bit later.  Do you happen to know the year(s)?  If it is ever convenient, can you let us know the spool dimensions or side plate dimensions to get a better idea of size?
-steve

1986-87 which would be about the same time the early Shimano Bantams were sold in the U.S. and pre-Lews. I'll take some photos tomorrow with it next to other reels for comparison. I think it weighs 6.4 oz.
Mike
"It's about the fishin' boy not the fish. Understand that and fishin' can teach you much."
Grandpa Albert

mrmike

Here's some photos of the V-Mag 3. In the one photo it's next to a Shimano Bantam B100 and a Shimano Scorpion 1500.
Grandpa Albert

Robert Janssen

Quote from: mrmike on September 15, 2016, 05:10:50 AM

1986-87 which would be about the same time the early Shimano Bantams were sold in the U.S. and pre-Lews.
Mike

Isn't that more like 1976-77 and post-Lews, you mean?

oc1

I think you're right Robert.  The Shimano Lew's Speed Spool came out in 1975.  Childre and Shimano fell out, Ryobi started making the Lew's Speed Spool, and Shimano came out with the Bantam 100 in 1978.  The V spool was being made by about 1980 but they still had the paddle handles.  The early Ryobi-made Lew's Speed Spool were big and heavy compared to the Bantam 100 at about the same line capacity.  I don't know when the magnets and smaller size appeared.  I really like the looks of the V-Mag 3.
-steve

Robert Janssen

Yes, i don't know much about it though; i just think it is an interesting story.

I know only that Lew himself died around that time in the late '70s, and Fred Archer used to like to take a lot of credit for Shimanos tremendous expansion in the late 70s and early 80s. Maybe rightfully so; idunno. To me he was just a loudmouth jerk, but he had far more fishing accomplishments than i likely ever will.

Robert Janssen

What else happened in Ryobis future? They had great sucess with the Marfix and OEM products for other brands in the 90s, but for themselves? Was it only in North America they weren't so prevalent?

mrmike

Quote from: Robert Janssen on September 15, 2016, 08:06:12 AM
Quote from: mrmike on September 15, 2016, 05:10:50 AM

1986-87 which would be about the same time the early Shimano Bantams were sold in the U.S. and pre-Lews.
Mike

Isn't that more like 1976-77 and post-Lews, you mean?

Robert & Steve: I went back to find the source for my dates and I'm still looking. In the process I ran across an article which maintains 1984: http://bassfishingarchives.com/short-strikes/the-ryobi-v-spool
I'm definitely not an expert on this topic compared to most on this board but here to learn. Appreciate your input.
Mike
Grandpa Albert

oc1

Thank you very much for sharing that Mike.  I thought the V-spool was a Lew's thing but maybe it was a Ryobi idea.  Here is a listing for a V-spool Ryobi-made Lew's BB-1NG from the early 1980's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Lews-Lews-Childre-Speed-Spool-BB-1N-Cranking-Casting-Reel-/371740782559
They were black and silver for at first and later there was a black and gold version.  I said they were from about 1980 above, but they could have easily been a few years later.  At this stage of development the 'V' was very pronounced.  The 'V' turned into more of a 'U' as time went on; presumably to increase line capacity.

Every time this thread comes up I get a craving for a V-Mag 3 and might have to go ahead and pull the trigger.
-steve

Robert Janssen

(I think I confused the issue; sorry. I was referring to the Bantams as 1978ish and the term Post-Lews as in, Lew died. Which really had little to do with Ryobis v-spool.)

We now return to regularly scheduled thread.

philaroman

I vaguely recall reading something about Mag3 being the smaller, lighter, "dinkier" version of Mag4, that didn't even come close as far as longevity, durability and ease of maintenance

oc1

I just have a penchant for small reels.  

In looking at the auction listings there is a V-Mag 3 with metal spool that holds 90 yards of 12 lb mono and one that has a composite spool marked 100 yards of 12 lb mono.  Hopefully the metal spool is aluminum and the lighter of the two because that's what I bought.

There's several biographies about Lew Childre on the web.  After he crashed his plane and was killed his family kept the business going and then sold it off to Browning.  After Browning let it fade away a family friend bought the name and revived it in it's present form.  
-steve

mrmike

Well I gave the little Ryobi V-Mag 3 a field test and was somewhat disappointed in the casting distance but not surprised given that bushings (bronze impregnated I believe) are used. There's not a bearing anywhere. My brother and I took a trip to Grand Lake of the Cherokees this week and I gave it a try. I spooled it with 8lb. P-Line fluoroscent coated mono and used it to fish various baits. With a ΒΌ oz. lure the best I could do was 35' guesstimated. I suspect it could be increased somewhat if I were to polish the spool shaft and the cast control braking disc. It would be fine for a young beginner fishing off the bank or shore (lake or pond) who is new to baitcasters but I bought it with my 12 year old grandson in mind and he is a little more advanced from that. Otherwise it is a well designed and built little reel. One thought that occurred to me was the possibility of replacing the bushings with bearings if I could find the correct size. I've not researched that to any degree but would appreciate any thoughts you all might have. I'll open one up (I now have 3) and take some measurements.
Mike
Grandpa Albert