Handle Problem Penn Intl 16S

Started by Tiderunner, September 17, 2016, 10:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiderunner

Hi,
I have an older 16S. There is more movement than I would like to see in the handle shaft.
It moves left/right and in/out too much.
There is room to put a very thin washer under the main gear.
This might help with the in/out. What I do not know is if doing this I will create another problem.
At this time I do not have a washer to experiment with.
Any ideas on how to deal with this?
Thanks,
Ken

Rancanfish

Hey Ken!

I'm no help on Internationals but help will be along I'm sure.

PS.  Dublin is not like you remember.....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Pull the bridge, and ensure the drive shaft retaining bushing is solid, and the inner 2 speed grooves are not excessively worn.. if either replace it.  Check your drive shaft itself for excessive wear/marring.. if present replace.  Same thing with the 2 speed pins.  You can shim under the main gear, and/or under the handle with 0.3mm thick SS or brass washers/shims.  You can order all of these parts from Scott's.  I would completely disassemble the reel, clean it.. clean all bearings and check for any roughness.. replace if any is present.  Recondition and lube (w/Cal's) the drag washer, replace the Belleville washers, and the clicker ratchet plate if it is grooved/worn.  You may need a new clicker pawl if it is worn as well.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rancanfish

John,  Ken used to live in my 'hood' but now resides in Alaska. 

I kind of doubt we'll find out if he got it solved, he has three posts in 6 years.   8)

He is a fish killer.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.