Newell Max Drags

Started by Newell Nut, September 19, 2016, 02:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I have had several folks contact me because they can't get big numbers with the new 5 stack kits. The grooves cut for the eared washers were only cut deep enough for the old standard 3 stack drag system. When you install the thin 5 stack system the first eared washer will bottom out before it can squeeze the 3 washers below it so you still get the drag of a 3 stack system. There are remedies. If you have the tooling make the groove deeper. If no tooling is available then start the stack with a thicker CF or use a standard thickness keyed washer as the first washer instead of the thin SS washer. This will now make the bottom 3 washers thick enough that the first eared washer can squeeze them before bottoming out.

Dwight

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 19, 2016, 02:17:26 PM
I have had several folks contact me because they can't get big numbers with the new 5 stack kits. The grooves cut for the eared washers were only cut deep enough for the old standard 3 stack drag system. When you install the thin 5 stack system the first eared washer will bottom out before it can squeeze the 3 washers below it so you still get the drag of a 3 stack system. There are remedies. If you have the tooling make the groove deeper. If no tooling is available then start the stack with a thicker CF or use a standard thickness keyed washer as the first washer instead of the thin SS washer. This will now make the bottom 3 washers thick enough that the first eared washer can squeeze them before bottoming out.

Dwight
Dwight, I happened to test that same set in my Jigmasters, cutting the grooves all the way down is no easy task for anyone and there is no need to.
Using Bryan's Ultimate Kit, all I did was to place a stock carbon fiber washer first... as you've mentioned above and followed with Bryan's thin washers.
The groove in the gears stop short at 1.40mm from the bottom, just about the thickness of a penny.
There is no need to add the thick metal keyed washer.
The stock carbon fiber washer is 1mm in thickness, Bryan's washers are .50mm, this will take you to 2mm up before adding the next eared washer, plenty of room for the drags to work and no tolerance issues on top.
This test was done a couple of months back and Alan was aware.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Which Drag Stack are they questioning?  200/300/400 or 500 Series?

The 200/300/400 series hasn't changed since introduction and provides 1.5 mm height before the first eared washer is inserted into the drag stack.

The 500 series initial drag system included 0.5 mm thick Carbontex with 0.76 mm thick ss metal washers.  Due to an error in mfg., the system was changed to two 0.76-1 mm thick Carbontex and three 0.5 mm thick Carbontex and 0.5 mm thick ss washers.  The original system provided 2 mm before the eared washer was inserted.  The current system also provides 1.76-2 mm before the eared washer is inserted.  In both configurations, with my measurements, the height exceeds the 1.5 mm minimum height so the eared washer should not bottom out in the gear, but floats on 0.25-0.5 mm of carbon fiber.

Not sure if anyone is reading my drag washer diagram on the reverse of the label.  If not, then that's were there could be a problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Sorry, I never asked Dwight if the gears in question are the ProChallenger's custom gears. If so, I stand behind my comment above, if we're talking about other gear sets, please disregard my comment.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

My measurements are Newell gears. Problem exist in 300 through 500 series.  It is a simple fix to work around as I stated in the beginning. Certainly no show stopper. I also noticed that the groove in some Newell gears is cut deeper than others. I have a Newell gear that has the groove cut to two different depths in the same gear.