Avet SX 5.0:1 - original run vs todays version

Started by bmullaney, September 20, 2016, 01:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmullaney

why are the original avet sx 5.0.:1 so much smoother than the new SX 5.3's? Were the bearings better back in the day?

I was able to get another 5.0:1 on ebay. The main gear is a gold color. On the 5.0:1 I've owned since the early 2000's the main gear is a darker color (brass vs bronze????)

I'd love to know the whole history of my favorite reel.

SoCalAngler

Not sure what you exactly mean by smoother on the older model?. But, most of the changes between the two versions are, of course the gearing, sideplates more rounded now not flat, new handle arm, rubber handle knob vs metal, the new reel foot has 6 screws vs 2 on the older models, anti reverse is a newer design (silent now vs always clicking before), the drag washer is now glued to the spool vs removable, clicker redesigned. Off the top of my head thats what I came up with, if I think of anything else I'll add it.

Avet did a replacement of bearings used in the first generation of reels and still use the same bearings today since that switch, I believe.

bmullaney

by smoother I mean in the reeling action. I like the feel of the old sx better. It feels like a completely different reel then the new sx to me. I thought maybe the bearing were better in the original.

russ1962

I have two newer SX reels and both of them are very smooth.
Hardly any handle bind when pushed to the upper drag limit.

akfish

The original SX had a brass main gear and 5:1 retrieve ratio; the current models have steel main gear and a 5.3:1 retrieve ratio. Brass tends to be smoother the steel and slow gears feel better than fast gears. The bearings are the same -- but you certainly could have a bad bearing on the new reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bmullaney

its definitely bad bearings on the newer reels. If I take the reel in my hand and shake it the handle spins much easier on both my old 5.0:1s then any of my newer Avets.

If anyone has any old 5.0:1 Lefty's they want to get rid of PM me I need 2 more.

SoCalAngler

With easier handle movement when out of gear most likely the older reel has less or more worked in grease in the handle bearing. I repack all of my non spool bearings with grease and this makes the handle not spin freely when out of gear but protects  this bearing better from water intrusion.

the rockfish ninja

I've owned only newer Avets, but I did a breakdown and Lube on my friends older SX. Before I broke it down I did the free spool test and it rolled longer and smoother than my newer models, afterwards it was still smooth but did not free spool as long. After it was put in use a couple times the free spool time increased again, so my thoughts are that in some of these cases the older models may be a little more broken in. That, along with the fact that metal parts sometimes polishes themselves against each other makes me think that the newer models will become just as smooth in time.

Maybe going out and fishing more will make our reels smoother, or at least that's what you can tell your wife when you want to get out on the water instead of taking her shopping. :D
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

bmullaney

I don't know I have fished the hell out of an SXJ and MXL 5.8 and they still aren't like the old 5.0:1 has been since day 1.  It's a major difference for whatever reason - wonder if the 2 sx 5.0:1's I have are from the first or second batch. Anyhow I love them!

Gfish

Here's what I found on my SX 6/4 MC, with the newer stuff in it, including the silent AR system. Execess friction, but not bearing friction. It's the AR components. This was the case for mine, new outta the box, an unusual level of cranking friction. Opened up the reel and found the positioning of the the AR arm(under the circular spring end) causes the arm to rub on the top of the(low speed) gear. Also, and probably more causative, is the friction between the circular AR spring and that black groved washer (attached to the top of the low speed gear) that the spring rides in, as you crank the handle. Next time you take apart a newer one, try removing the spring and arm and then see if there's a diffrence in ease of cranking.
That said, it'll probably wear in with use. Being an OCD mechanical person, I tweaked the circular spring to make it looser and got some improvement with no impairment in AR function. Also, I removed the crank bearing shields and dropped some oil onto the grease for a very slight improvement in cranking smoothness.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!