Senator 9/0 Two Speed

Started by Robert Janssen, September 22, 2016, 08:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Part I:

So, I have had this old 9/0 kicking around in the shop for years and years, for no particular reason. I have come across it from time to time, and been reminded to maybe someday do something interesting with it. I thought that making a two-speed is something somebody should look into someday. So eventually I did.

I noticed that the reel is in fact fairly build-friendly, with a fair amount of room inside for alternative mechanical embodiments. It couldn't be impossible to poke some other stuff in there.

So I made a few sleeves, some bridges, a bunch of gears... It is just so much easier to have a bunch of parts to work with from the beginning, rather than disassembling and reassembling the same stuff over and over. This way, you can try some ideas, make some prototypes, and if it doesn't work quite right, you can just move on with a new one. A mechanical bookmark; you can always go back and see where you were at earlier.

Also made a fixture for  machining the sideplate. Very handy. Reversible too, so either side of the plate can be worked on if need be.

This is an automatic two-speed, that downshifts automatically depending on line load, or how hard one cranks. There is a manual version in the works too; it is there in the background somewhere. The automatic version is much easier though, so I thought I'd just go with that for the time being, and get back to the manual version later. It is much more mechanically complex, so I will save that for a rainy day.

(There is also a stainless tube in there somewhere; i thought i would use it to make one-piece frame. Nowhere near as arduously as Rothmars frame though. I will take the easy way out and just machine the silly thing.)

I was able to fit a fairly substantial drag in there. I don't know how much, and didn't bother with the details too much at this stage.

To be continued in part II

Robert Janssen

Part II:

Right, so the gears and all fit quite nicely into the sideplate, so the outside of the reel is changed very little, with the exception of an additional bulge to the east of the original gears. This will in the future be covered by a machined plastic piece i think. For the time being I just used a stainless one. I also made a stainless cover over the gear hole too. Just thought it was nice, because it covers up a ball bearing I put in there, to support the gear sleeve. No need to really, since the Senators have done just fine without them, but what the hell, right... so there it is.

I don't recall the gear ratios right now... High gear is as it originally was though.

Well, that about that then... Gotta go. Have other stuff to do today besides type.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

As Sal said! Robert, I dream of doing this, but don't have the means or skill.
Thanks for sharing your second to none imagination and execution with us. It's very inspiring!

thorhammer

Oh boy do you have our attention now........lit up like sailfish on a ballyhoo......

Bryan Young

Wow 😳😳😳😳😳 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓. You got our attention.

Looks very similar to Abu's auto 2-Speed design (which I have yet been able to understand).  This is something that I can see would be great in the 6/0s, and larger.  Very interesting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mhc

Extraordinary - your work never ceases to amaze. You have certainly achieved your understated objective "to maybe someday do something interesting with it.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RowdyW

I want one! I must have one! Amazing engineering. Next a aluminum side cover could be made on a CNC machine.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Shark Hunter

Holy Cow!!! :o
This Man has some Skills! :P
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Amazing. I don't understand the design, but it looks really good!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

Robert,  I knew you had some skills but that's just ridiculous. Who ever thought of turning a 9/0 into a two speed?! You gotta let us know how it fishes.
I have to pick my face off the floor now... Wow!
Dom

foakes

A Penn Star-Drag 2 Speed Beastmaster, set up and brought to you by Robert Janssen, in 9/0 size!

Fantastic workmanship and thought, Robert.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Wow!!

:o :o :o :o :o

A masterpiece in the making.. to be sure.

I can see it now...

'9/0 2-Speed Converstion Kit = Priceless'

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Jerseymic