Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

:o...... ;D...... 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

That's! Uhm! Remarkable.
Do a 4/0! 
I want one I want one I want one.
Wow that's something I only dream about.  Man you got skills, need to know how it performs.  Looks great though.

Gfish

Is it possible to get a brief, but more detailed explanation about automatic shifting " based on line load and how hard one cranks"? Thanks.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

STRIPER LOU

Spectacular work Robert! Webster's Dictionary doesn't even have a word to describe talent like that!
....................Lou

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on September 22, 2016, 09:19:13 PM
Is it possible to get a brief, but more detailed explanation about automatic shifting " based on line load and how hard one cranks"? Thanks.
Gfish

Seems simple to me... increase the drag/load and the top main gear will stop spinning.. in essance 'shifting' into low.  Conversely, decrease the drag, and the high speed gear will grab the drive shaft.  Maybe?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Bill B

X10 what everyone else has said.....wow!   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ChileRelleno

:o :o :o :o  You sir, are one one step from deity. :o :o :o :o
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on September 22, 2016, 04:33:40 PM
Robert,  I knew you had some skills but that's just ridiculous. Who ever thought of turning a 9/0 into a two speed?! You gotta let us know how it fishes.
I have to pick my face off the floor now... Wow!
Dom
Ditto...Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Eddie K

Yeah!  Outstanding!  So, when do the kits for this 2 speed conversion hit the shelves!  You have SKILLS!

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 22, 2016, 11:29:57 AM
Looks very similar to Abu's auto 2-Speed design (which I have yet been able to understand). 

Yes, exactly. This is really just another version of Abu's automatic, so i don't get any credit for actually inventing anything this time.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 22, 2016, 09:53:20 PM
Quote from: Gfish on September 22, 2016, 09:19:13 PM
Gfish

Seems simple to me... increase the drag/load and the top main gear will stop spinning.. in essance 'shifting' into low.  Conversely, decrease the drag, and the high speed gear will grab the drive shaft.  Maybe?

Yes, that is right. In one version of this automatic transmission the point at which the gears change is dictated by adjusting a seperate dial. In another version the shift point is determined by default as a certain percentage of whatever the drag is set at. I found the former a bit too fiddly in practice, even if adjustable is a good thing sometimes. So i went with the standard default version here. No sense in making things more complicated than they need to be. (imagine if say, the gear ratios in your car were adjustable... how many people would actually be interested in understanding and fiddling around with that? What for? What a headache.)

So, even if i have previously been enamored by the magical enigma of automatic shifting, i can really see the virtues of a standard, manual gear shift here. It is as said much more mechanically complicated, so it takes some more doing. Maybe later.

sdlehr

Robert, I don't see a notch in the pinion. How does it engage the spool?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cone

Wow!!! That is amazing! When are the upgrades going to be available?   ;D  ;D  You have raised the bar on the Penn mods!
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

mizmo67

I'm in awe.

If it's mechanically cheaper to make the 2 speed auto shift...why aren't all two speeds done that way?
From a manufacturers perspective, I mean.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com