Senator 9/0 Two Speed

Started by Robert Janssen, September 22, 2016, 08:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Got it! Thank you Doc! 
I did have an idea that you were just filling the gear and not too concerned about numbers, as you already know, the possibilities for the washers are many. For instance, the hex metal washers could also be replaced with 1mm hex  carbon washers and adding a couple more.
PLEASE, don't loose that reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

doc, don't forget to leave this reel to somebody in your will!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Quote from: alantani on September 29, 2016, 07:12:45 PM

....someone like "The museum of fine art"  ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mizmo67

Quote from: Robert Janssen on September 24, 2016, 10:28:59 PM

That is a pretty good question, really. It is kind of twofold.
Not all manufacturing is about frugality. A more expensive part may well be chosen over another less expensive alternative in the name of durability, simplicity, ease of manufacture or assembly, material... a number of reasons.

Or for that matter, market interest or perceived desirability in the resultant product. If the manufacturers thought we all wanted or needed automatics, then they would be.*

Thanks for the answer, Robert! I thought as much but I was really curious about the decision making process there by Penn, etc.

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Makule

Robert, any chance you can provide a schematic?  I'd be interested in converting one of my 14/0s.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on October 02, 2016, 04:07:47 AM
Robert, any chance you can provide a schematic?  I'd be interested in converting one of my 14/0s.

Just a wild guess on my part Albert, the schematic for that reel might be off limit, but you never know with Doc.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

marc77

Robert:

I hope that you can make this two speed mechanism work, because I will be one of the first to purchase it.

I have two questions:

1.  It seems like for this to work, the drag in the larger main gear, under torque, must slip before the drag in the smaller main gear.  Otherwise, it will not shift into the lower gear ratio.  Therefore, to do so, will you reduce the number of drag washers in the larger gear and increase them in the smaller gear?  and

2.  As already been raised by someone else, how do you avoid the resistance of the large main gear slippage when cranking the handle when the reel shifts into low gear?

Robert Janssen

A) It works.

1. Yes, that is right. Also consider the difference in torque though. No, I won't be changing anything for the time being; the shift point seemed pretty good. I haven't measured it yet though. Maybe will adjust something in the future. We'll see.

2. It isn't really noticeable in that way. For one thing, everything still goes 'round; you aren't cranking against a static load. Besides, if you are cranking hard enough for it to shift, then you are cranking rather hard anyway against a rather large fish and should have enough on your mind. For another, I don't think you would be cranking against the one drag per se, but rather the difference between the two.

I found the reel btw.

Gonna have a closer look at making the manual shift version.

Tiddlerbasher

Just seen this thread and WOW :o 8)

The Great Maudu

Fishy247

Wow is right....I've been wondering why there are no 2-speed star drag reels on the market...

ez2cdave

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 29, 2016, 09:55:44 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 29, 2016, 07:12:45 PM

....someone like "The museum of fine art"  ;) ;)

Uhh, I was actually thinking of it being ME, rather than the Museum . . . LOL !

Unbelievable skill & craftsmanship . . . Otto Henze is SMILING today !

Tight Lines !

Squidh90

Amazing! I would have never thought that was possible before this.

ez2cdave

More than two years later, I am still in awe . . . Incredible !

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Tight Lines !

Alto Mare

Quote from: ez2cdave on December 25, 2018, 02:25:55 AM
More than two years later, I am still in awe . . . Incredible !

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Tight Lines !

Yup!...same here.
This one is still the best upgrade on a Penn Senator and will be hard to beat.

Sal