Cracking stubborn spool pins on larger reels

Started by exp2000, September 22, 2016, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

I recently encountered a big spool pin on a larger reel which would not budge no matter what so I was forced to come up with a new solution which worked very well.

I placed a hollow brass ferrule over one end of the pin and used the jaws of a small vice to press out the pin out through the ferule. Once you "cracked" the initial press fit, the last bit of the pin could be easily drifted out.

This is a really good technique for larger stubborn spool pins to facilitate access to the spool bearing  :)
~

Rancanfish

That's pretty clever.  I just gave up and cleaned the bearing behind mine and called it good.

I know I'm going to have to use your method some time so thanks!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

boon

Has anyone ever tried a bicycle chain-breaker tool? I was working on a Torium the other day and I thought it could potentially work well...

exp2000

Quote from: boon on October 09, 2016, 03:42:29 AM
Has anyone ever tried a bicycle chain-breaker tool? I was working on a Torium the other day and I thought it could potentially work well...

Good idea provided you can get it in a workable position.
~

reel man

May not be true with foreign reels, but rule of thumb is to press the pin out left to right, and you are right about encircling the pin with a spud sleeve to prevent folding the pin over.

Shark Hunter

I have yet to meet a Sleeve pin that could defeat the correct punch and small hammer.
Life is Good!

boon

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 09, 2016, 07:11:35 AM
I have yet to meet a Sleeve pin that could defeat the correct punch and small hammer.

Indeed! The issue for small reels though is supporting the spool shaft sufficiently that you can hit the punch hard enough - if you bend the shaft even a teeny tiny bit you will get a wobbly spool.

Shark Hunter

My response was sleeve pin. I've missed the target here. :P
Life is Good!

Hamachi

Quote from: boon on October 09, 2016, 09:53:37 PM

Indeed! The issue for small reels though is supporting the spool shaft sufficiently that you can hit the punch hard enough - if you bend the shaft even a teeny tiny bit you will get a wobbly spool.

I usually drill a hole in a piece of 3/4" wood the size of the spool shaft. Then cut the top half of the hole off to create a cradle for the spool shaft. Following? Then drill a hole in the cradle to accept the pin or just drive it into the wood. I like the brass ferrule idea though.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

exp2000

QuoteI usually drill a hole in a piece of 3/4" wood the size of the spool shaft. Then cut the top half of the hole off to create a cradle for the spool shaft. Following? Then drill a hole in the cradle to accept the pin or just drive it into the wood.

Not really? You know what they say about a picture though ;)

Ah right. I am with you now. Good idea. This would support the shaft very well.
~

Rancanfish

Some good solid ideas here.  I think I may readdress a 540 spool bearing now.

Daron, I read your post and never caught the missed target!  I was admiring your skill, because I tried it with a punch and hammer and wisely gave up before mushrooming the pin too bad.   ;D

Edit:  I think I saw Dawn carries the tool for this now....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 15, 2016, 02:02:04 PM
Some good solid ideas here.  I think I may readdress a 540 spool bearing now.

Daron, I read your post and never caught the missed target!  I was admiring your skill, because I tried it with a punch and hammer and wisely gave up before mushrooming the pin too bad.   ;D

Edit:  I think I saw Dawn carries the tool for this now....
Randy, I can send you a pin plied and you could send it back to me when you are done
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

boon

Quote from: Hamachi on October 15, 2016, 06:22:45 AM
Quote from: boon on October 09, 2016, 09:53:37 PM

I usually drill a hole in a piece of 3/4" wood the size of the spool shaft. Then cut the top half of the hole off to create a cradle for the spool shaft. Following? Then drill a hole in the cradle to accept the pin or just drive it into the wood. I like the brass ferrule idea though.

You know what, I did exactly that in the end for the last couple of Toriums I had in pieces. Great minds think alike :)

Fish-aholic

I own the reel speed spool pin pliers and when I come across any stubborn spool pins not able to be pressed out by hand pressure, I resort to placing the pliers in my bench vise helping to prise the pins out.

Once removed I place the pin in my drill press and rub it down with some coarse wet & dry and finish it off with 800. The pins thereafter are easily removable with the designated pliers by hand pressure alone.

handi2

I broke the pin on my pin pliers today and he doesn't make them anymore. I was highly upset!!

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL