The Flathead Special

Started by mo65, September 22, 2016, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I had been thinking of a build using a 3:1 gear set when I read hurt locker's post about pairing a 99 with a 501 spool. I began researching the archives here and saw where many folks have made similar narrowed reels using Silver Beach 99s, Surfmaster 250s, and Live Bait Caster 259s. I decided on the Surfmaster 250...partly because I could find a nice one under $20...and partly for the quick take apart feature.
  I normally like the 210's 4:1 gearing, it allows me to keep my line off the bottom while retrieving, but I thought this time I'd go for a bit more torque than speed. Those big Flathead Catfish will head for heavy cover when hooked...and sometimes pulling them out can be hard. The 250 uses the popular #5-60 main gear, and a #98-60 gear sleeve. Most reels use a smaller #98-155 gear sleeve with this gear, so right out of the gates we have a little beefier set up. I tried several sleeves, and even had a new ss sleeve, but none fit as well and tight as the original. No lateral or radial slop...a very precise feel. I guess if it ever shreds I'll put the ss sleeve in.
  I wanted less backplay to match that tight feel...so I added alternating double dogs. This was an adventure, being as I have no large tooling, only a few files and a Dremel tool. I thought epoxying the spring in place would make assembly easier. Fat chance...still need three hands. They aren't timed a true 180 degrees apart, so sound is reminiscent of a Harley firing, upping the "cool" factor! I also used a Tiburon P21 frame, Bryan's 5+1 dag kit, and a #24-12LT power handle...this bulldog should be tough. 8)

Here are the donor reels. The 501 Jigmaster provided a spool and eccentric lever, and the Surfmaster 250 provided side plates and gearing.

I assembled a decent looking "frankenjiggy" out of the spare parts. :D

The project parts, all cleaned, polished, and ready to assemble.

Here's the Dremeled spot for our new dog.

The dogs in place. I now know why double dogs are most times added to the bridge. This style build takes a lot of patience.

I like to assemble the gear/sleeve onto the bridge to test fitment. I used one very thin shim under the sleeve, and the #10-60 drag star got replaced with a #10-66 after this photo was taken.

These gears have little wear, and crank smoothly for steel.

Well, here she is! The sound from the dogs is truly unique...and the firm precise feel is very welcome. I think I raised the bar this time! :o

Looks good from this side as well...;D

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

great frankenreel Mo, congrats on the build , looks pretty good

more than ready for the big cats
you are correct on the sound of the double dogs, I also got surprised on the sound when I did the DD job to my 112h
The Baja Guy

RiverAngler

Those flatties won't know what hit em' Mo.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

foakes

Nice setup, Mo --

That will surely winch the hogs out of the hole.

Personally, I like just a little wear or break-in on the steel gears -- when they are greased properly, they work well without needing to wear off the rough edges.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

49Freak

Very nice work Mo! Your custom builds are inspiring, but I probably ought to just get out and use the stock items I have before I go daydreaming about mixing and matching parts.  ::)

josa1

hurt locker

Sweet Reel !!!! Now to find the Flatheads!!!!

mo65

Thanks folks!

Quote from: 49Freak on September 22, 2016, 07:14:35 PM
Very nice work Mo! Your custom builds are inspiring, but I probably ought to just get out and use the stock items I have before I go daydreaming about mixing and matching parts.  ::)

Those stock items will fish fine. A stock Surfmaster 100 will do anything my build will do...but hopefully...mine will do it a little better.  ;)

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Great Work on that one Mo. I love the 250. One of my favorite reels.
Life is Good!

steelhead_killer

><)))">

mhc

Nice reel Mo. The dogs swinging on the bridge screws are a bit fiddly to put together but I think the end result might be a bit stronger.
Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on September 22, 2016, 08:25:43 PM
  Thanks folks!

Those stock items will fish fine. A stock Surfmaster 100 will do anything my build will do...but hopefully...mine will do it a little better.  ;)
It sure will.

I went as small as the 180, I just had to do it. :)

Nice job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 22, 2016, 11:46:52 PM
I went as small as the 180, I just had to do it. :)

Sal...your 180 post was my reference for plate grinding. ;)

Decker

Beautiful reel for such an ugly fish ::)  After the nuclear apocalypse, I'll use this posting as a guide for assembling a reel out of miscellaneous Penn parts, and be able to feed my family.   ;D    I know you guys are serious, and hope you don't mind the humor!