12/0 from Lou

Started by Shark Hunter, September 23, 2016, 03:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got a really nice 12/0 from Lou recently.
The line looked like Dacron, so I started to strip it.
It was doubled over. When I got to a splice, I said "wait a minute" this looks like JB Hollow.
I wound it onto another reel.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I continued to wind all this line on another 12/0 and it filled it up. This line was not smelly or salt covered like normal Dacron I have experienced.
When I started getting to the end of the spool, I could tell, this was spooled by a winder back in the day. Glad I saved it.
The reel looks really good. Of all the 12/0's I have. This is the only one I have that came with the box. Thank You Lou. ;)
The first thing I noticed when I got it was a screw with half a head on it. These can be a real pain.
I don't understand how this happens to a screw head. Not sure if it sheared the half going on or coming off.
Corrosion X applied to the inside and out and another screw on the end of the post worked. Thank goodness.
The handle is a marbled red that I've never seen before. Unfortunately, it is cracked from age. The nature of the beast.
Got it all cleaned up. Partially, Looks like another winner. The spool cleaned up really nice.
Thanks again Lou. ;D
Daron

Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

Looking good Mr. D. I didn't notice the bad screw but glad you were able to easily remove it. I'm so backlogged here and I haven't had time to list the rest of the offshore gear for sale. Hopefully next week.
Thanks and have a great day,  ..  Lou

PS are you at the point you could start a 12/0 museum????

mizmo67

Nice bonus there on the line!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Shark Hunter

Lou,
I really took my time with this reel. I know it came from your brother.
I dug through my old handles to find one worthy.
I have given a lot of them away to members deserving.
I have a lot of Black ones, but this one deserves something more.
A dark green beauty will take the cracked red ones place.
I normally don't keep my Senators stock. But I wanted to keep this one as original as possible.
The only upgrade is a Carbon Fiber stack in place of the old asbestos one.
I polished it up the best I could and it has a special place I only put my most prized reels.
I thank you again.
Daron
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Wow Daron, that looks Soweet! Hopefully I'll get a few minutes to list the rest of the stuff today. You've really developed the Midas touch for these big reels.
Nice job!
......................Lou

sdlehr

Lookin' good Daron. You made 'er shine!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Sharp reel Daron, congrats! Put that thing in the box and place it on a shelf. The old knobs really make it. Enjoy it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Keeping this one stock is a great idea Daron...it looks awesome. I love the red/yellow swirl knob...and the green/yellow swirl too! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

Very nice Daron. I zoomed in and gave it a close look. Shiny for sure..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

It has some set in Corrosion. Its is pretty mild considering its age.
I have replacement parts. Stand, posts, screws, Spool.
There is just something about keeping all the original parts with the reel.
Something I seldom do.
Good to see you Keith. ;)
Life is Good!