Imported Reel Knockoffs.. Mini-Rant...

Started by ReelSpeed, March 26, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelSpeed

Warning...Warning... Leave now!  ;D

This may get me in some trouble, but I am going to speak up here... This is not aimed at any one company, but the many that are popping up selling the same reel!

It is really frustrating to see so many companies (mainly on the east coast) jump on this copy bandwagon.  All these reels come from essentially the same place and have the same design.  I used to work extensively in the golf club manufacturing industry and once all the manufacturing moved over to China, this exact thing started to happen.  The only difference is that we actually still make reels in the USA..in the golf club world, the entire industry got moved overseas..machines, engineers and all!!  :'(  So now you have all these new golf club companies coming out that all use the exact same designed clubhead, from the same factory, just put a different name on it and spend a bunch on the marketing side.  No one will ever admit to it and they will have a million reasons around it, but it is the truth.

This exact thing is happening in fishing reels.  All these companies will say whatever they need or have to say to get things sold.  Designed in the US...made from parts all over the world...our own design after many years of development...The only designing that happened in the USA was when Avet designed the SX.  Just call it like it is!!! Please!!  This is an Avet copy made overseas...pure and simple! It's ok! Just say so and let the reel do the talking!  If it fishes well and is dependable, it won't matter!  And please, please, please don't say it has 20-50lbs of drag if the handle binds at 6-8lbs and the only AR you have on the reel is a single AR bearing!!!

I am/was looking at being a rep in SoCal for one of these overseas reel companies as a entry-level, startup reel in an upcoming line of reels would be made entirely in the USA.  The difference is that I would only be selling them for around $125!  And I would probably not sell a single reel without a complete service first, which would be included in the price!  If you are paying over $200 for any reel that looks like these.. believe me, you are making someone a rich man!  

In fact, if you guys want these reels, I just need a group order of around 50 reels and I will get them and sell them for $125 fully serviced all day! Throw in $5 if you want the thrust bearing upgrade discussed in my previous handle binding article.  

I could go on & on.. but to sum it up, these little import copies aren't bad..they are very light(good), cast well once serviced(good), and are made from solid stock(good).  I just feel it is ridiculous that all these new companies are getting hooked up with these overseas manufacturers and just slapping their name on the reel and then saying it is their own design and that it is the best because _____...  and then charging these prices.  They are all working off the same design and none of them warrant a $200 price tag!  I will single out and applaud Omoto for having a different design and fixing some glaring flaws with most of these imports (no AR dogs, brass gears and no bait & strike position on the drag lever) and charging $179 (see VS12).  But you still only have an SX essentially..  

When you show me a lever drag reel completely made in the USA for $200 or less that has SS Gears, CF drags, AR Bearing & Silent Dogs, Fully Greased non-spool bearings & lightly oiled spool bearings,a solid Aluminum frame, Thrust bearings to prevent handle binding, at least Type III Anodizing, then I will be impressed!  Oh wait, that is what I plan to release!  PM me if you are interested in a reel like that!  ;D

-Aaron

Just to clarify here, I am specifically talking about the small one & two speed jigging reels that are being imported by many different companies under many different names.  They are all about the size of an SX.  This is why I singled out Omoto, I am not grouping them in the same category as the reels that I am talking about as they have their own design and specs.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

wallacewt

thats thrown the cat amongst the pidgeons.whoopee!

ReelSpeed

I always enjoy your expressions Wallace!  "thown the cat among the pigeons"!  Priceless!  ;D ;D ;D Don't think I have heard that one!
(562) 261-5190

Dominick

Aaron:  I'd hate to hear a maxi-rant.  Good job.  Said without trashing any one company.  Wallace always come up with those Fair Dinkums.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

beber

I'm confused.  Who is making knock offs and where are they sold?

ReelSpeed

Beber, I prefer not to name names here.  I am sure if you do a google search for "jigging reels" there are bound to be some that pop up. You will know by the fact that although there are many different companies, the reels will all look almost identical. 
(562) 261-5190

Irish Jigger

Quote from: beber on March 29, 2011, 07:58:46 PM

The Chinese are making them for sale in the USA.

beber

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 29, 2011, 09:00:15 PM
Quote from: beber on March 29, 2011, 07:58:46 PM

The Chinese are making them for sale in the USA.

Oh, I guess I have never seen any of these.  I have noticed a lot of store brands reels with a close resemblence to Okuma reels.

NachoOne

RANT ALL YOU WANT! I understand, too many knockoffs out there. Now, when is your reels going to be ready? I need a true 25LB line reel, just go local YT fishing. Let me know Aaron. Yea, this is Nacho

Fishead

I guess chinese junk is more than just a boat!!
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

redsetta

It's probably worth remembering that any factory can produce good or bad products, anywhere in the world.
Van Staals are manufactured in China, but the tolerances and quality are among the best in the market.
So 'caveat emptor' is perhaps truer now than ever before...
Good luck to us all! ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Quote from: Fishead on June 11, 2012, 05:10:42 PM
I guess chinese junk is more than just a boat!!

I have a PRC built Penn that is well built, you can't say all PRC built reels are junk.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Black Widow Tackle

onemako

The majority of us on here spend most of our down fishing time tinkering with reels, whether it is hotrodding them or repairing them, and so forth. I purchase my reels on that auction site and repair them for friends and myself to use. I am almost entirely a P-nn reel person and where and what I fish for these reels perform great. Any of the older reels in my opinion are better than the cheap made new stuff. We all know why things are no longer produced in this great country. Everyone wants to save a buck and now our American workers are no longer able to produce things they use to build by their hands. I am 65 yoa and if a tackle company opened up here in the USA and showed that they could build a quality product, I would rather spend a hundred bucks more for it and know that Bubba down the street made it with his hands and his family can have a good meal from his earnings. Those days will never return. As for me I will keep buying old stuff that is fun to work on and give to someone or a kid a reel to show him how we use to make things in the old days. Okay my soapbox is started to cave in so tight lines to all. 

Bryan Young

You have that. It's called Accurate and Avet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D