Finally settled on a new Torque Reel

Started by mrbrklyn, September 24, 2016, 03:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

OK, so after burning through multiple fathoms, which have always been nicely repaired by Penn, I finally settled on an upgrade, just in time for Black Fish Season coming up.  I decided on a Torque 15 with a star drag, but they have been pricey.  More often than not, I purchase from whatever is on the shelf at the tackle store, but this time, I really wanted to do a bit better on the pricing.  I found a black version of this reel on Amazon from Chaos Fishing in Florida.  I hate Amazon because they are relentless trackers, but I managed to get one through the party boats account.  It is a black Torque 15

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Torque-Star-Bearings-6-0/dp/B00474Y53S/ref=pd_sbs_200_23?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00474Y53S&pd_rd_r=2DWX1BH19ZS3QB9AH5MS&pd_rd_w=L7u20&pd_rd_wg=DmaV1&psc=1&refRID=2DWX1BH19ZS3QB9AH5MS

for $350 with shipping and tax.  Now I want to change the gear ratio on it for 4.8:1

I assume the black and gold are the same internally?

Ron Jones

Didn't you start out with a 320GTi?!
That is a very nice reel, I hope you enjoy it.
Good Fishing!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 24, 2016, 03:22:18 PMFor strippers, the GTis are still perfered guns.

I hear they'll give you a reel good lap dance for one!  ;D

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

:D...you guys crack me up.....whoooops....don't forget the 12 yo rule...but still funny.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rivverrat

I always want to know more about this sort of thing.  What model were your Fathoms & star or lever ?  What went wrong with them that caused you to look for something better ?....Jeff

Rivverrat

Thanks for the reply. Yup, the dog set up can give issue....Jeff

Cor

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 27, 2016, 12:37:04 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yup, the dog set up can give issue....Jeff
and more things as well!    I have made some comments previously somewhere.
Cornelis

alantani

been looking at these for a while as well.  i already had a torque 25N two speed lever drag, then i got a 30 and a 40N a couple of months ago.  now i just ordered up a 15 two speed lever drag torque.  i'm going to use the torque 15 as my 30# live bait reel, the torque 25N will be my 40# live bait reel, the torque 30 will be my 50# live bait reel and the torque 40N will be the 50# jig reel.  for 60# live bait and dropper loop, i have my old penn 12 international vsx.  i also have a 50 international vsx for 130#.  if i was going to finish up the set, i would get a 16vsx for 80# and a 30vsx for 100#.  those last two reel are not in the works right now.  i have the rods but i also have a full set of makairas and a full set of very old accurate atd's

decisions, decisions.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

I've seen them. It would take a forklift. Lol

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on September 28, 2016, 01:39:30 PM
I've seen them. It would take a forklift. Lol

That's for a 5-day. On his upcoming 8, he'll need a 20-ton crane.   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rivverrat

mrbrklyn, Charkbait sells the the Trq. 15 star drag for 399. they are gold. Not many new black 15's to be had....Jeff

alantani

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 28, 2016, 08:02:43 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 27, 2016, 09:54:05 PM
been looking at these for a while as well.  i already had a torque 25N two speed lever drag, then i got a 30 and a 40N a couple of months ago.  now i just ordered up a 15 two speed lever drag torque.  i'm going to use the torque 15 as my 30# live bait reel, the torque 25N will be my 40# live bait reel, the torque 30 will be my 50# live bait reel and the torque 40N will be the 50# jig reel.  for 60# live bait and dropper loop, i have my old penn 12 international vsx.  i also have a 50 international vsx for 130#.  if i was going to finish up the set, i would get a 16vsx for 80# and a 30vsx for 100#.  those last two reel are not in the works right now.  i have the rods but i also have a full set of makairas and a full set of very old accurate atd's

decisions, decisions.......

where did you order the 15?

i needed it quick, so i just went to amazon. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

It works because the spool's axle rides only on its own bearings and doesn't go through the pinion, thus fewer points of resistance.

nelz

The pinion slides out and grabs the spool by way of a notch in the spool. however, the spool and pinion each have their own separate supports.