The Ribs are Coming!

Started by ChileRelleno, September 24, 2016, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 25, 2016, 02:43:27 AM
John,
That is ridiculous.
You should have been a Chef.
Next May, I expect some of your Culinary expertise.
I'll settle for some bacon wrapped Venison. ;)
Thanks man, just another day on the BBQ.
I'll make something noteworthy for a beach snack next time you're down.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

jigmaster501

If you can't smoke in your oven, you can use a bit of salt in your rub that has liquid smoke dried into it. A little goes a long way with liquid smoke. You get the smoke flavor without the smoke.

The mustard rub has mustard seeds which have a tiny bit of oil and the turmeric in the mustard provides some color. I like mustard in rubs. They provide a nice balance.

The coarse grain mustard will provide some kick if that is what you are looking for.

You are cooking until the meat starts coming off the bone so I know your internal temps are good... You likely don't have to worry about proper cooling as there will be none left to cool so you get a thumbs up from me.....lol....

The one thing people complain about with ribs is sometimes they get a tough skin on the bottom which is true. Peeling that membrane off before brining/rubbing and cooking will take care of that.

Haven't made ribs in awhile. This summer has been so humid that BBQing wasn't so enticing. Now that it is cooler, it will be more fun.

ChileRelleno

I'm not above using some liquid smoke if its all I have to work with.
But flavored salts such as liquid smoke infused types and others are inferior to a quality smoked salt.
With the real smoked salts you can get the actual wood flavors various species.
And these smoked salts are surprisingly inexpensive when bought online, I highly encourage others to try them.

Now I must admit after all your lecturing about food safety procedures, your comment about my meat's temp leaves me a little surprised.
All my meats internal temps are monitored, just because the bones are popping through on a rack of ribs doesn't mean that the thickest parts are done at 145'.  Heck, that don't cut it anyways, unless you like tough chewy ribs.
A good BBQ chef knows to bring his ribs to 185'-190' so that all the fats & collagens melt for a more tender-n-juicy rack of ribs.
Now if you find yourself without a meat thermometer, there are the three Bs for tender ribs, bones, bend and breaks.

Mother Nature still hasn't received the memo about Fall, mid-high 90s here yesterday.
Thankfully smoking ribs isn't labor intensive in front of the BBQ, a cold drink and AC are right inside the patio door.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

I got a pork shoulder ready to defrost for next weekend.
Today my number one kitchen helper Grandaughter number three Madison age 11 in about 13 days came over to help me put up 18 pints of tuna.  Next to fishing with them this about my most favorite thing in the world to do, cook with them.  And of that, smoking and canning are our favorite things to prepare.

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on September 26, 2016, 02:34:56 AM
I got a pork shoulder ready to defrost for next weekend.
Today my number one kitchen helper Grandaughter number three Madison age 11 in about 13 days came over to help me put up 18 pints of tuna.  Next to fishing with them this about my most favorite thing in the world to do, cook with them.  And of that, smoking and canning are our favorite things to prepare.

I can not disagree.  

Can't wait to catch some tuna to can.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

jigmaster501

I wasn't talking about the bones popping through. I was taking about the meat coming off the bones which only happens after about 190F+ internal generally speaking. Your pictures showed the meat sunken in around the bones and that only happens when the collagen and fat start to melt away which relaxes the muscle fibers. Without a thermometer (which I always have when cooking...lol) I look for physical changes that occur that can provide an indication of a safely cooked piece meat. You clearly had those changes in the meat and I knew that you reached proper temps.  Looking at the photo of the ribs cut, the rib on the left has the bone exposed on the cut and that meat looks like it could be licked off.

I wasn't going to bust your chops unless you cooked your meat wrong...lol

I agree that real smoked meats are superior but for apartment dwellers amongst us, it is the next best thing. You can get liquid smoke now that uses specific wood species and some go as far as blending certain species to get the flavor that they want. That would be your only option if looking for specific flavors. Especially useful when smoking fish as it gets the pH down below the pellicle.