870 falls out of gear

Started by Fishnmike, September 25, 2016, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnmike

I have an E series 870 Boss Magnum 2 speed. When using it in low gear if I turn the handle back against the dogs it will pop out of low gear. It doesn't take much to make it happen, just pausing while fighting a fish is enough. Any ideas?

Rancanfish

Mike,   don't know why there is no response here.  I have no clue having never worked on one.

Maybe send a pm or two to alert someone to your post and ask for help.  Sometimes things get lost in the shuffle.  

I'm curious myself.  The only two speed I have is an Abu.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

the shifting mechanism can be very temperamental.  i usually take the cutting wheel of a dremel and cut away at the underside of the shift lever so that button can engage a little more easily.  i don't have an accurate here to show you right now, but when i get one in pieces, i'll take some pictures. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Yea, I saw this on another board and didn't want to weigh in because Accurate 2-Speed mechanisms are such a mess, or at least very temperamental. If it were my reel, I'd first look at the tiny spring under the 2-speed cap. If this spring is twisted or has some salt on it, it won't hold the plate in place which keeps the reel in low gear. There is also a spring inside the handle stem which puts pressure on the gear shift button so it springs into and out of low gear. That spring could be broken. But first clean, lube and reinstall the tiny spring under the two-speed cap. This is simple to do and might work. Good luck.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Fishnmike

Akfish I saw your post on BD, thank you. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to pull the shifter apart and see if any of your suggestions fix it. If not I may send it to Alan, he's sent lots of things to me, my turn to send something to him. Lol

Fishnmike

Ended up sending it to Accurate. They did a through cleaning and replaced three bearings. Works like new.

Thanks all.

Mike

Rancanfish

Thanks for posting.  I was hoping to hear what was going on.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Fishnmike

My guess is it was dirty or had salt in it as AkFish suggested.