Beachmaster Surprise

Started by AlcoholicFisherman, September 27, 2016, 02:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlcoholicFisherman

Good day!

I recently won an auction on what was listed as a Penn 180, but when it arrived, I was greeted with a 160 Beachmaster instead. I've never had one before so needless to say I was certainly far from upset.

She's in pretty good condition but the inside could do with some service, so I decided to clean it before classes bog me down.

Here she is laid up into parts and ready to be soaked in a Simple Green solution.

And after the first rinse. Unfortunately one of the drag washers fell apart in my hand  >:(, so I must wait for the replacements to arrive before I finish this reel up.

Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if I could improve things - I'm still fairly new to tinkering with my reels.

Bill B

Looking good brother....you already have it torn down, and new drags on the way (hopefully carbon fibers) just grease them with a drag grease like Cal's, grease the gears with same grease, lube or oil the bushings and fish that bad boy....if you are interested in any upgrades beyond the drags an aluminum or chromed spool and then stainless steel gear sleeve.....always nice to get more than expected.....we always like pictures and will be expecting a completed project picture soon  :D.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mizmo67

Sometimes on those old plates you can misread a 6 as an 8, so that's probably what happened there when they looked it over before selling it.

160 is a nice little reel.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

That reel is in very good condition...nice find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AlcoholicFisherman

The carbon replacements arrived yesterday and I managed to get time to finish the reel.

Gave the reel Cal's grease and CorrosionX, then finished it off with some shoe polish for the sideplates.

I was going to upgrade the spool before putting line on her, but I had some leftover braid so I'll use it for the following season before plopping in an aluminium spool.

All in all, I'm pretty glad the mix up happened  ;D

Alto Mare

Very good job on that reel, it looked good, now it looks even better.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.