Land Sharking in Alaska - Three videos, new one shows landing a shark by hand

Started by Steve-O, September 28, 2016, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Quote from: Cone on September 30, 2016, 01:25:31 PM
Thanks for the great videos. It looks like you are having fun. Too bad about the one getting you with its spine. Be careful!

thanks, Bob,  once the spine pierced the boot, it barely touched my ankle before I quickly reacted and lifted my foot away. I was clamping the tail with both feet and like a gator it wanted to spin and flick that tail around.

Dominick

That lift was not bad.  You did it with style and panache.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

newport

I tried them before. They're not bad eating, but not that great either. I fried them in beer batter, because I heard they are used as fish and chips in the UK, so it must be pretty darn good. However, it just ended up okay. It was just a bit too meaty, while a flakier consistency would have been much better. Texture is everything. I should have marinated and thrown it on the grill. That might have been awesome. The hardest part in trying it for me was the ammonia smell, even if the shark was well bled, but once its cooked, smell is gone.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Horned Dogs urinate through their skin when dying. Bleeding them won't help. Some people on the Head Boat that I worked on would clean them at the end of the day & take them home.

Mike 
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

STRIPER LOU

That's interesting Mike. I never knew that and thanks for the tidbit of information.
....................Lou

Steve-O

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 01, 2016, 03:59:30 PM
Horned Dogs urinate through their skin when dying. Bleeding them won't help. Some people on the Head Boat that I worked on would clean them at the end of the day & take them home.

Mike 

Yep, to my knowledge all sharks pee through their skin. If you see in a fish market and it smells like ammonia it was not prepped right.

Bonk, brain spike, bleed out, GUT AND  BEHEAD,  ice down!, ALL DONE FAST.

That's what I've heard lessens the chance of getting bad ureic acid meat.  Have also heard of folks soaking the fillets in milk or buttermilk. 

I've eaten sharks back in NC and yes, it has texture like steak. Not old cow tough steak but more texture than most fish. I call it steak/lobster. Very white and mild when fresh and grilled.

I will be finding out hopefully in about 51 weeks! :D

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on October 01, 2016, 03:59:30 PM

Mike 

We blead, skined and iced the one we tried to eat, did not help. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

This is really pretty cool to see some of the fish some you deal with. Even when they are considered a nuisance like this one here. But in their own way they are a pretty neat fish. But ya I'd probably be tempted to take a hammer to them after dealing with them for a while....Jeff

bluefish69

I like to grab the nose & bend it back to touch the head & return to the water. It swims on top & the Sea Gulls pick it apart.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.