Need Help with Mitchell 302N (aka 386) bail dont lock

Started by steelfish, September 29, 2016, 06:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

this is not the normal 302 model, this is 302N aka 386, so its different than 302 and 300 on which I have some experience already.

this particular reel dont lock the bail when its opened to cast, I know there is a pin that moves and click on a small hole on one of the sides of the base of the bail, but this pin dont move anymore, its stuck, so either the spring dont work or its stuck by corrosion and oxide, but I cannot get into that part of the reel to check that out.

the pin is located where the red line is

I already took almot everything inside the body as you can see on the next pictures
only the pinion gear is attached there, but normally that part stays there and the Bell is the one that come off

inside the Bell (rotor??)  everything was already taken out even the shaft, I put a lot of 321 oil and already hit it with a plastic hammer (not too hard) but no avail.

so, anyone know that else i need to do the get into the Bail locking system and check whats wrong on that.
the bail locking pin should be inside of that "tube" that shows on the bottom of the last picture

The Baja Guy

cbar45

Yes, you need to remove the rotor to get to the bail lock mechanism.

I suspect the pinion is frozen/corroded at the point where it runs through the rotor.

The pinion bearing may also be frozen to the frame. Seen it alot on these reels; it's a tight fit even when the bearing is fine.

Try spraying some penetrating oil right at the bottom of the pinion gear, with the reel upside down.

Hopefully some will make it's way down and into the bearing and pinion enough to free it up.

steelfish

thanks, then I will ad a lot of oil later today and let ir rest for few hours.

since its probable frozen there I think I will need to hit it again gently, that zone do you think I need to hit?
the edges of the Bell or the center part?
The Baja Guy

cbar45

Quote from: steelfish on September 29, 2016, 11:24:07 PM

since its probable frozen there I think I will need to hit it again gently, that zone do you think I need to hit?
the edges of the Bell or the center part?

Yes, tap the edges, not the center.