Triton trivia

Started by basto, September 30, 2016, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys and Galls
With the very useful gift of a parts reel from one of our members, Ruffy, I decided to spool up my Shimano Triton Mark 2 and use it for beach casting with 14lb mono.
It was interesting to find the 850SS that I took the line off holds exactly the same amount of line.

cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

hurt locker

Great reels. I have a couple of Mark 1's but they aren't quite as good of shape as yours.

basto

Yes, I got this one about 2 years ago and have not used it. The only thing wrong was the loose wood hand grip, so I modified a handle off a TLD Stardrag 20/40. I have a Mark 1 that I haven`t used yet too.
I`m going to clean the bearings and see how it casts with some Quantum hot sauce.
Basto

Alto Mare

Good information on line capacity, Basto. I'm a fan of hot sauce, I've been using it for a couple of years.
I also like Speed X and TSI 321. To me, all mentioned are great, but use TSI 321 a little more often.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Hi Sal
Yes, I will have to try the TSI. I think it is quicker than the sauce.I know the distance casting guys like it.
Basto

hurt locker

Quote from: basto on September 30, 2016, 04:54:23 AM
Yes, I got this one about 2 years ago and have not used it. The only thing wrong was the loose wood hand grip, so I modified a handle off a TLD Stardrag 20/40. I have a Mark 1 that I haven`t used yet too.
I`m going to clean the bearings and see how it casts with some Quantum hot sauce.
Basto

I remember the thread about your Mark 1. It was why I got interested and why I got my 2 Mark 1's. Thanks

Ruffy

Glad to help Basto! Did you end up needing many parts? That Abu you sent me in return ended up being a 6500C4, it's been spooled up with 8kg mono and is now my live bait reel. Yet to hook a barra worthy of these pages, hopefully it's just a matter of time!

Andrew

basto

Quote from: hurt locker on September 30, 2016, 10:16:11 PM
Quote from: basto on September 30, 2016, 04:54:23 AM
Basto

I remember the thread about your Mark 1. It was why I got interested and why I got my 2 Mark 1's. Thanks

Yes, i remember your posts about the 300 tritons too.From Mark1 to Mark4, I think they are some of Shimanos best work. They had sprung dogs and sensible gear ratios.
cheers
Basto

basto

Quote from: Ruffy on September 30, 2016, 10:38:36 PM
Glad to help Basto! Did you end up needing many parts? That Abu you sent me in return ended up being a 6500C4, it's been spooled up with 8kg mono and is now my live bait reel. Yet to hook a barra worthy of these pages, hopefully it's just a matter of time!

Andrew

Hi Andrew
I didn`t really need any parts, but it is great to have some spares, as you can`t order them anymore. Much appreciated mate!
You are doing much better than me with the barra. I still have never caught one.
I tend to chase easier fish like mackerel and reefies
Hope you are getting to wet a line now and then. I know you are a busy man.
cheers
Greg

handi2

That's a good looking reel. I've never had my hands on one.

How do they compare to the Calcutta reels?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hurt locker

Quote from: handi2 on September 30, 2016, 11:26:15 PM

Keith

Keith, if you look up Basto's original post(Shimano's old gold....Triton mark 1) there are lots of great pics there. I have only worked on one small Calcutta 50 so I don't feel qualified to make an answer.

basto

Keith

Hi Keith
My first Triton Mark 1 was given to me by an extremely generous man in USA . I had only read about this reel before I wrote about it on Stripers on Line  forum comparing it to the first Calcutta 700A.
I owned a 700a at the time and thought that the Triton Mark 1 was a much superior reel than the Calcutta.
The Calcutta had only a one way roller bearing for it`s anti reverse. The mark 1 has a sprung dog.
There are a few more reasons why I prefer the Mark 1 and this generous man could see my point and said if I liked it so much then I should have one.
I am eternally grateful to this man, who would not accept anything in return for this reel.
Basto

basto

Quote from: hurt locker on October 01, 2016, 02:43:31 AM

Keith

Keith, if you look up Basto's original post(Shimano's old gold....Triton mark 1) there are lots of great pics there. I have only worked on one small Calcutta 50 so I don't feel qualified to make an answer.

You will find the "old gold" post in the Photo Gallery section.

PERRO

This thread has inspired me to pull out my two from the back of my storage racks, to the front for future use  :)

Both have seen very little use in Freshwater :o