Fishing around Los Angles around Thanksgiving

Started by mrbrklyn, September 30, 2016, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I'm going to LA about Thanksgiving for a week.  Whats the best chances for decent  fishing and what gear should I bring?

Bill B

For 1/2 day and 2/4 day, look to either Newport Landing or Davey's Locker, in Newport Beach....you will be dropping to about 150' targeting sandbass, sand dabs, and rock fish....a jigmaster or 112H would be plenty as its pretty much a drop and grind from fairly shallow waters....bring 6-8 oz torpedo sinkers and 1/0 - 2/0 circle hooks.  30 lb mono is fine braid is better.....the boats will supply bait either frozen squid or live anchovies....if you check Groupon you can usually find a great deal for Davey's Locker, which includes breakfast burrito and lunch....for about $20 less than a regular ticket....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

there's been yellowtail around since the El NiƱo last year and they'll stick around through the winter I would imagine. Daveys locker  and 22nd street in San Pedro do trips to Catalina which could be good. Nice boat ride and a beautiful island if nothing else. The blue fin tuna have taken a powder but they could pop back up too. Watch the fish counts in the weeks before you leave to get a better idea of what to bring. Fishing has been outstanding in SoCal the last year and a half.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

many of us are in the san francisco area.  any chance you're headed up this way as well?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

yeah, san francisco i can help with, but i'm useless when it comes to LA.  hopefully someone will chime in. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hamachi

Depends... light end, bring a trout spinner and do some surfperch fishing Carolina rigging small 1-2" grubs, crankbaits work too. If you have more time, check the fish counts at the landings and jump on a half or 3/4 day trip for bass and maybe even yellowtail. It'll be a crap shoot depending on conditions. More time? Two hour ride to San Diego then jump on a boat 1/2, 3/4, or overnight trip. 20, 30, and 40 should cover just about everything you'll run into on those trips. An assortment of hooks and torpedo sinkers should cover the bases. Give me a call, I'm usually ready for any fishing trip at the drop of a hat.   Warren
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

ChileRelleno

Only half joking... 
You could bring some Fly fishing and/or light spinning outfits and fish the Los Angeles river.
Several areas offer some pretty good Bass, Trout, Tilapia and Carp action.

No really, head for San Diego and it'll be hard to go wrong with anything from a Half Day in the kelp to a Tuna trip.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Hamachi

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 15, 2016, 09:51:23 PM
I'm interested in gong to San Diego.  I was originally going to spend Thanksgiving at LA with a girlfriend, but she just disqualified herself.  Soooo... I definitely wanted to take a tuna trip in San Diego if I can swing the finances.  I just picked up a Torque 30 star drag.  Would that be enough of a reel to do that?

Ruben
Sorry, can't help with the girlfriend part. But the lucky boats are still getting 4 or so per person on yellowfin , yellowtail or close to nothing on the overnight trips (9pm to 6 pm) around $205-245. The torque 30 is a fine middle of the road reel with a 7-8 foot rod. I would bring a lighter setup also. Better chance on 1.5 day or longer.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!