has anyone had problems with the gen II kits?

Started by alantani, October 03, 2016, 09:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the gen II gear sleeve has those flat faces cut all the way down to the ratchet base.  that means that the pinion gear is supported only by 90 degrees worth of metal on opposite sides.  i haven't seed a problem.  has anyone else?  dawn from smooth drag mentioned a concern, so i'm checking.  guys, if there has been a problem, i need to know!  thanks!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Alan I haven't seen it but have heard that the main gear had tilted just enough to ruin a set of ss gears. I can PM you the details.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on October 03, 2016, 10:32:57 PM
Alan I haven't seen it but have heard that the main gear had tilted just enough to ruin a set of ss gears. I can PM you the details.

yeah, it would have to tilt, but under all that load, i just can't see how it could be possible.  the entire stack is being mashed down under pressure from the star.  there is just no way that it could tilt.  were these stock gears or aftermarket?  

bluefish69

I put a Gen. II Sleeve in one of CC Jig Master. Spool Spins in Free Spool Great - In gear feels Good. When I tighten the Drag the handle Won't Turn. There is B P Gears - DD Bridge - Yoke - Jack Plate. Penn Drag Washers.

I'm going back inside the reel tomorrow.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on October 03, 2016, 10:32:57 PM

just post it here. 

handi2

Alan Chui told me about a set of his gears being returned to Dawn that had supposedly tilted on the genII gear sleeve. The gears were ruined. This was many months ago.

He was asking me if I had any reels come back with this problem. I haven't.

He would remember the whole story.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

I have repaired one reel where the SS gears and gear sleeve groved together.  The gear was cutting into the gear sleeve or vice versa.   the I think it was due to the lack of difference in hardness between the two.  It was your gear sleeve and BP gears.

I'm not sure which one should be harder but my little mind says that the gears should be harder than the gear sleeve.  I don't have any reason that I can explain though.

I smoothed Borge out and they worked fine.  If it comes back again I may just replace both gear sleeve and gears if I have them in stock. Good grease added between the two would also help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mikeysm

The only way the wear can happen is the drag was backed off allowing the gear to tilt. The metal drag washers keep it straight as long as you have drag pressure.  Time will tell if the second Gen sleeves are the problem but I doubt it.

mizmo67

We've had exactly ONE complaint, back in 10/2015
We'd emailed you about it then.

Copy of that email:
QuoteMorning Alan,

Going around and around with Alan C. and this customer. He installed the 98-114AT sleeve with Alan's stainless gears in the 115 reel. All three stripped out under a big fish.

Reshipping him the parts without a fix just seems to be leading towards a repeat, and the customer is extremely difficult to work with per Ryan and Brian's conversations with him. Alan also talked to him, having the same issues (if it had just been Alan/Ivan arguing I would have said the problem lay in their temperaments but the guys here said the same thing.

The customer pointed out in our support system that the 98-114 has a stop at the bottom, but the current stainless steel 98-114's there isn't a stop. Does that design change allow the gear to go out of alignment, and is there a workaround?

First time encounter with this scenario, we haven't had any other complaints about the sleeve, or the gears. Alan C tried to tell him that and was accused of being arrogant, but seriously we haven't had a complaint, either.

Alan C. said we should just refund the man his money, get the damaged parts back (he wants to replace the gears) and move on.

Thoughts?
I need more coffee.
~Mo

Haven't had any other complaints before or since...it's possible it was an installation issue or something else wrong with the reel that factored in there.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Keta

There is no way the flats will allow the main gear to be misaligned, I tried it last night.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

Mo that was the conversation I was posting about. I got you and Dawn mixed up. Alan had contacted me to take care of the reel but a different reel showed up. It was a 113H that had been modified and he was complaining that he couldn't move the reel into freespool under load.

I sent the reel back and explained on what to do and why it does this. I had to show him numerous reels that do the same thing under a heavy load and using heavy weights. I still dont think he got it..!
Gulf Breeze, FL

Black Pearl

Quote from: handi2 on November 05, 2016, 09:42:46 PM
Mo that was the conversation I was posting about. I got you and Dawn mixed up. Alan had contacted me to take care of the reel but a different reel showed up. It was a 113H that had been modified and he was complaining that he couldn't move the reel into freespool under load.

I sent the reel back and explained on what to do and why it does this. I had to show him numerous reels that do the same thing under a heavy load and using heavy weights. I still dont think he got it..!

That was not that guy. Trust me, that guy was very hard to deal with.

mizmo67

As we've had ZERO other complaints of actual problems on the Gen 2, I'm really inclined to think the issue was in the users installation of the various modifications in this case.

I think something else in the reel was wrong.

For all we know, he could have had the wrong handle type on the shaft and set off a chain of events.
I've seen a few of those come through the shop that trashed handle/shaft/gears because it didn't fit right.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com