how to reduce the outer diameter of carbontex?

Started by madday, October 05, 2016, 03:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madday

sorry, i am sure this question had been asked before.
anyone can help to point out the link here?
or care to give a clue?

i bought a carbontex set for torium, wanna put it in JDM previous version of ocea jigger 3000 (gold trinidad japanese sister).
but the outer diameter looks like a bit bigger, about 1.5-2 mm larger than original one, so it will not fit inside the main gear.  ???  ???  ???

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

day0ne

Take a 1/4 to 3/8 in bolt and clamp them between 2 metal drag washers (without ears). Put that whole assembly in a drill (a drill press works best) and spin them against a file or sandpaper until they are the same size as the drag washers. Takes less than 30 seconds. Don't breathe the stuff that comes off the carbontex.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

newport

I once used the carbonfiber drag from the shimano baitrunner 4000D to replace the felt drags on the stradic ci4+, but the inner diameter was a bit small. I just filed it by hand with a small file and it worked fine. Just make sure you check it periodically, so you don't file too much. That's just how I'd do it if I didn't have a drill.

Shark Hunter

If I can avoid sanding. I do. I cut all mine with a hollow punch now.
If all I had to do was the OD, I would use a pair of scissors. JMO
I didn't want the scissor comment to sound sarcastic.

Life is Good!

cbar45

In a pinch--razor, straight-edge, and a pair of sharp scissors that have good leverage.  

You can either freehand the cut, or use the razor and straight-edge to first achieve a hex shape and then go from there.

It helps to make a few cuts going in from the edge of the washer to your new circumference--such that you have "tabs" all around, that, when cut, will fall away from the work and allow the scissors more purchase.

I don't like grinding carbon fiber because of the mess, but it does work.

The hollow punch (gasket cutter) Daron is showing makes the job super-simple, for both inner and outer diameter cuts.

You can find them at shops that cater to leather-work.

Alto Mare

If you cut lots of carbon fiber washers, I'm going to recommend this tool:

Yes, they're expensive, but it will be money well spent. These were recommended to me by Dwight ( Newell Nut ) thanks again Dwight.
If you look online, you might get lucky, I got these used ones for a fraction of the cost, I believe a quarter of the retail price.
These will cut the ID and the OD at the same time. I use a 1 ton press with mine, equipped with a longer handle.
Downsizing on the OD is a breeze:

did these really fast to show how easy it is, no mess or dust.
[/URL

If you only cut a few, the cutters shown above will do you.

Sal
]
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Sal I have that same set plus a set of metric sizes from them. There's not much i cant punch right out.

I still spend a few thousand dollars a year at Smooth Drag but when an odd reel comes along im set.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

I've always had a hard time centering punches so I commonly do it as described http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=175.0.   
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

I nibble away at it with a pair of shears.  The end result always looks terrible, but they work fine.  There would be less waste with a nice set of punches but I can't justify the cost.
-steve

reel man

I was buying HT100's for the old Penn 149 for my 500 series Newells.  The OD was a little to big to fit in the Newell main gear, so I would take a 5/16" bolt and a couple flat washers then tighten up with a nut.  I would then rotate a stack of drag material on a grinding wheel to reduce the OD.  Yeah there was dust but I wore an apron, and it got the job done very nicely.

Tiddlerbasher

For a quick fix clamp 2 metal drag washers either side of your cf stack. Find a suitable size nut and bolt and bolt the lot together. Spin it up in a drill and sand to the exact size - do it outside and stay upwind - it's a filthy job. I bought a set of affordable Maun wadcutter punches available in imperial or metric - nice and clean job.

Rancanfish

For the odd sizes in my Progear Alby Special I ordered an $18.00 set of punches off EBay.  That's $2.00 cheaper than the sheet of 1.20 gasket material I bought.

I wasted a bit of time with scissors, dykes, etc and just wasn't happy with the results.  Although they would have worked with no issues, I knew they weren't exact.  The punch kits biggest punch was perfect.  First I drilled out the center and then used the punch, with the sheet material laid over the end grain of a 4x4.(per bluefish69).

Total investment was $38.00 to do three reels.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

there have been 3 or 4 cases on which I had to reduce the OD on some Carbontex washers or HT-100 washers, on all cases it was super easy with some  Jewerly flush side cut wire pliers, just add some Cals grease before cutting them to avoid having too much graphite dust by the cuts.

really strong and sharp for those small jobs.
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

I have a set of punches like Daron's, but built an adaptor so they fit my 1 ton Arbor press.  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13859.0

They need sharpening reguarily, but work great, with an extension on the press.  I actually haven't used them as much as I thought I would though, since I mostly service larger lever drag reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.