Give in-line hooks a try for lures

Started by newport, October 07, 2016, 01:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Never believed treble hooks were necessary, even before I got serious into fishing. I think they do more damage than necesary to fish, which is not an issue unless you are catching and releasing or if the fish is under the legal size. I had to replace some rusty treble hooks on a couple lures, so went out today to buy some replacement hooks with inline hooks in mind ( I remember reading about it in some fishing mag). So I got the 3/0 and 6/0 VMCs made specifically for lure fishing. Tested it out today on the local river and hooked into a couple schoolie striped bass. As you can see in the pics (same fish) it was a good hookup in the corner of the mouth. In my experience trebles are good at hooking into fish, but not really the best at keeping them on. Lastly, it is not only safer for the fish, but more importantly, safer for the fishermen, as well. Give these a try. I like them already.

Gfish

Sounds like a great idea, 'cept mabey for delicately balenced non-surface plugs with lots a' swimming action. Whata you think?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

I caught a YFT last weekend on a Halco with VMC inline hooks that i wired.  There were Wahoo in the area too. I'd had Wahoo hiting my surface iron earlier but weren't sticking on the treble hook. I did cut the treble off an iron and attached an inline with a split ring. I'll be ready next time.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

We always replaced the trebles on the Rapala Magnums with Mustad duel hooks when deep trolling for YFT in tye gulf.  The hooks held and we caught many nice 40-250lb yellowfin.  The baits themselves were only good for 1 fish apiece.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

I'm terrified of treble hooks.  They're another accident waiting to happen.  I get a similar looking single hook from Owner for popping plugs but they're thinner wire and pricey too.  Will look into VMC.  Thank you for that lead.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I've been using Decoy Sergeant JS1 inline hooks for a while now. I try to choose a hook size of similar weight to the original treble then go with one size larger. It's been working fine on smaller lures haven't tried it on large ones yet. These are a fairly thick wire hook but sharp out of the packet. Both VMC and Decoy do a lighter wire hook that may work for 'sensitive' lures. Haven't tried the Owner ones yet hard to find in the UK :(

smnaguwa

I switched out my YoZuri shallow and deep diver trebles to the VMC inline hooks fishing for stripers in the Delta, mostly to save the net. Worked well.

Strewth

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 07, 2016, 09:37:03 AM
I've been using Decoy Sergeant JS1 inline hooks for a while now. I try to choose a hook size of similar weight to the original treble then go with one size larger. It's been working fine on smaller lures haven't tried it on large ones yet. These are a fairly thick wire hook but sharp out of the packet. Both VMC and Decoy do a lighter wire hook that may work for 'sensitive' lures. Haven't tried the Owner ones yet hard to find in the UK :(

Have used Decoy, Owner, VMC 7266 and Mustard singles with good success on all species for quite a while. The heavier Decoy and VMC are good for bigger lures in 1/0 and 2/0, while the Owners and Mustard work well on smaller more weight-sensitive lures (such as Megabass). A lot easier to handle and gentler on fish if they are to be released. Switching to singles seemed to have a negligible affect on my catch rate, since the occasional missed strike is offset by the fact that hooked fish tend to stay hooked....

ScottOz

I have been using single hooks on my metal slugs for mackerel and tuna for years and love it.I put 3/0 or 4/0 mustard red tarpon hooks on these.The gape is twice as big as the trebles they come with.If you Google hooks in people, most of them are trebles and it will make you sick.

coralsea

I took off all the treble hooks from my..baits...years ago.I never fish with such type of hooks.
Moreover, the treble hook by itself can damage the ..bait's body in water.
You see it on the picture (marked with red circle)
Yo-Zuri Hydro Magnum Deep Diver 180...
no pain-no gain

coralsea

no pain-no gain

Decker

Newbie question:  What enhancement does the inline hook offer over a comparable hook with a standard eye?  Do circle hooks work well for lures?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

"Do circle hooks work well for lures?"

no...try the Owner's zo wire inline hooks, hope this helps!  tight lines...

oc1

Most regular hook have the eye turned the other way,
-steve

Tightlines667

I replace all of the trebles w/double Mustads on my Rapala magnums which I intend to troll for Wahoo, and Tuna.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.