Give in-line hooks a try for lures

Started by newport, October 07, 2016, 01:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on October 26, 2016, 07:57:26 PM
Most regular hook have the eye turned the other way,
-steve

I get that from the 1st photo in the post....but I see other photos of lures with various types of hooks that are not in line -- siwash, circle, etc.  If in line hooks are better, what about having the eye on that axis makes it a better hook for lures? What are the physics that make it better?

oc1

The metal loop on the lure that the hook attaches to runs front to back.  Then you put on a split ring that runs side to side, then an in-line hook that runs front to back.  If the hook eye is oriented side to side then hook will point left or right instead of down.  A regular hook will work if the eye is large enough and two split rings are used.
-steve

Decker

Quote from: coralsea on October 26, 2016, 04:34:08 AM
I took off all the treble hooks from my..baits...years ago.I never fish with such type of hooks.
Moreover, the treble hook by itself can damage the ..bait's body in water.
You see it on the picture (marked with red circle)
Yo-Zuri Hydro Magnum Deep Diver 180...

This picture shows circle hooks attached with split rings to a swim bait.   Is an in line hook better?  Why?  If you don't know, let someone else answer. :)

Bryan Young

Quote from: coralsea on October 26, 2016, 04:34:08 AM

I have always pointed the min hook with the point down and the rear hook pointing up  Not sure if it makes a difference or if it's just preference.  I personally love circle hooks but I do use J-hooks on jigs where I know the fishes mouth is tough to pierce the jaw with a circle hook.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coralsea

This picture shows circle hooks attached with split rings to a swim bait.   Is an in line hook better?  Why?  If you don't know, let someone else answer. :)
As i see, in line hooks provide more space for movement..around...Right? Or they have other goal?
In place i live fishermens use (mostly) circle hooks...
So, do I...

There are hooks which have ...lets say...360 degrees run..I will show photo tomorrow.

no pain-no gain

oc1

Hold that plug up in the air or suspend it in water and the hooks are going to orient themselves from side to side rather than front to back.
-steve

Cor

I fish only with artificial lures, for mainly Yellowtail, and Yellowfin Tuna.   Based on my many years experience Trebles result in more hookups and on Yellowtail also hold the fish better.   However Yellowfin do not stay on the trebles well and we tend to use large single hooks on a piece of Dacron/Braid cord behind the lure.   This usually ends up hooking the fish in the corner of the mouth as per circle hook expectation.   Both Yellowtail and Yellowfin Tuna do not often come off a single hook.

I would not have much confidence on a hookup using a circle hook on a fast retrieve lure.

With the lure In Deckers picture the hooks would sit sideways which would not be the case with In-line hooks.

BTW I would never use a lure with two hooks.
Cornelis

coralsea

How about such type of hooks? With swivel...
no pain-no gain

Decker

Quote from: coralsea on October 28, 2016, 12:07:43 AM

Those look nice... but how do I Google them without installing a Japanese (or Chinese, Korean?) keyboard? ;D

coralsea

no pain-no gain

whalebreath

People love to overthink this sort of thing-this same basic setup must be 60 years old and works as well today as ever.

Yes this is a Salmon plug but the same setup works as well with a Rapala or Yo-Zuri deep diver-I admit to using doubles as belly hooks as shown upthread but doubt they are truly necessary.

Cor

Quote from: Cor on October 27, 2016, 06:17:31 PM
I fish only with artificial lures, for mainly Yellowtail, and Yellowfin Tuna.   Based on my many years experience Trebles result in more hookups and on Yellowtail also hold the fish better.   However Yellowfin do not stay on the trebles well and we tend to use large single hooks on a piece of Dacron/Braid cord behind the lure.   This usually ends up hooking the fish in the corner of the mouth as per circle hook expectation.   Both Yellowtail and Yellowfin Tuna do not often come off a single hook.

I would not have much confidence on a hookup using a circle hook on a fast retrieve lure.

With the lure In Deckers picture the hooks would sit sideways which would not be the case with In-line hooks.

BTW I would never use a lure with two hooks.
Something I should have mentioned as well......when fishing in shallow water or in places where there is thick kelp or other structure in the water, your probability of actually landing the hooked Yellowtail is substantially increased when using a single hook.    Often the Yellowtail manages to stick the free hooks on the treble in to the structure and wave you good bye.    In 45 years of fishing for these things I've never understood how they do that so easily.
Cornelis

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: coralsea on October 28, 2016, 12:07:43 AM

this type of circle should work...tight lines!

newport

As oc1 said before about the orientation of the inline hooks is correct. Having inline hooks makes the swivels unnecessary.

oc1

In a pinch, you can use two split rings like chain links for each hook to change the hook orientation.
-steve