Show your favorite "Shelfie"

Started by Maxed Out, October 12, 2016, 01:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Quote from: TARFU on October 16, 2016, 08:13:58 PM
Ive never been one to buy something and not use it, BUT  ::) from the first time I saw the Levelmatic I knew I had to have one, I have other baitcasters that have more capacity and drags, but my little 930 will always be a special little reel in the collection.....Bill

I love those....and the old skool Ande pink.... one of the best classic looks IMO.

Jerseymic

You Guys make my eyes water :P

Mike.

basto

Quote from: mo65 on October 19, 2016, 01:14:23 PM
   Here's another favorite, a very clean Senator 2/0 with a lemon swirl handle knob, sounds almost good enough to eat! :D ;D 8)

Hi Mo
That is my favourite model PENN, and I don`t even own one. I have two 1/0 and two 3/0.
I am expecting my 99 Silver Beach, with a lemon handle like yours to arrive today.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

The Great Maudu

Here's my true favorite. A 9/0 Ocean City cradle reel with a bamboo tip I rehabbed to fit it.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Tough for me to pick just one, but right now my favorite 2 'shelfies' would probably have to be the boxed OC Panama City s 12/0, and the unboxed Panama City 10/0...

The unboxed reel is a Panama, 10/0 (later referred to as the no.120), Ca. 1937

It appears to be a first year model, with an early log Penn Log Knob handle.  It has the old style star, drag, rotating harness lugs, and drag.  This reel is rated to hold 600yds of no.24 thread (75lb test).

The boxed reel is a Panama, 12/0 (no.121), ca. Early 1937

This appears to be a transition reel since it has some characteristics depicted in the 1937 catalog  (rotating harness lugs, star style, drag, oiler, handle arm), but it is badged (which did not appear until the 1938 catalog).  Curiously the reel is lacking all of the other features depicted in the 1938 catalog.  The handle knob has been replaced, and appears to have origionally belonged to a Coxe.  This reel is rated to hold 750 yds of no. 24 thread  (75lb test).

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

John, that's what I call collecting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

John, you're showing us all how it's done! Nice reels!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Penn Chronology

I know, I am a Penn guy and a Ocean City guy; but, I have to say this Kovalovsky--Standard Model 9/0 is my collection's center piece.

Gfish

Interesting, whatsa mechanism on top a the... Is it the main shaft area? The one with the little lever stickin out?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Penn Chronology

QuoteInteresting, whatsa mechanism on top a the... Is it the main shaft area? The one with the little lever stickin out?
Gfish

There is a drum brake assembly in the housing under the handle. The wheel is threaded onto a shaft that is attached to the brake shoe. The wheel is basically the drag preset. Once you have the wheel; adjusted where you want it, the lever will adjust the drag. It is super smooth, quick and easy. Brilliant engineering! IMHO

Superhook

1938 Australian 10/0 Atalanta reel

Atalanta 10/0 & Coxe 9/0 for comparison

Atlanta 3 bar foot .

Atlanta reel with leather case. Note the Gold blocked name "Lawrence Tibbett" on the reel and case. The case has 3 locking straps  , a carry handle  a mass of rivets and the inside of case is also leather lined.

Lawrence Tibbett was a famous Opera singer who travelled the world performing. This was given to him when he was in Australia for Australia's 150th Anniversary Celebrations. There was a Fishing completion that he fished for a few days when not touring Australia performing.

Mr. and Mrs. Tibbett from USA arriving in Australia 1938.