Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Sriracha Pickled Eggs

Started by ChileRelleno, October 22, 2016, 02:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 23, 2016, 02:49:24 AM
Good stuff John, very entertaining :). Try a slice of white bread next time to put the fire out.
Naw, milk is the best, at least for me it is.

Somebody send me a Reaper and I'll make another video.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 23, 2016, 02:52:49 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on October 23, 2016, 02:49:24 AM
Good stuff John, very entertaining :). Try a slice of white bread next time to put the fire out.
Naw, milk is the best, at least for me it is.

Somebody send me a Reaper and I'll make another video.

Glutton for punishment... ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Can't blame a guy for trying to get some free chiles, them suckers are oft expensive and hard to come by fresh.
I could brag I ate the hottest chile in the world and perhaps make a salsa long remembered.

Sometimes I think there may a tiny bit of some sort of benign masochism in the personality of a chile head.
Without a doubt we are pain/pleasure junkies, the pain of the burn and the pleasure of the endorphins.
And obviously since we like to make a spectacle of ourselves, perhaps we subconsciously seek sadists approval.
And like a junkie we develop a tolerance and chase the dragon, seeking hotter highs and reveling in it.
Weird bunch we are  ;D

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

I have a whole new level of respect for you now! 

Shark Hunter

John,
I wouldn't eat a reaper.
They exchange them at work, and just a touch on the skin will light you up.
I don't want anything to do with them.
I had a peanut butter and jelly to calm my tongue down, Thank Goodness.
The Salsa I ate had five of them chopped up in it. It was probably a quart container and it really lit me up.
I could probably get you some if you really are crazy enough to try it.
I assume no reliability for your actions.
Seriously.
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Thanks Daron,
of course I'm crazy enough, was there a doubt?
Not to eat a whole one, but like the Ghost, seeded and sectioned, sure I would.

I hear the Reapers have a very distinct citrus flavor, that would make for some really good super hot pico de gallo.
Or make a mash of them and make a Tabasco style sauce out of them.
I'm just going to have to either buy seeds or live plants for next year's garden.

I kind'a lost touch with my buddy Steve, him and his wife used to supply me with their homegrown chiles, fresh & dried/ground.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

I'm weak, I could not resist the temptation to crack open the Sriracha Eggs today when I got home from work.
Yeah, I said I'd wait at least a week, but I opened the fridge to shake them and they called to me, "Taste us" they said "we look so yummy, don't we."
With which I had to agree, so I cracked it open to try just one.

The smell was wonderful, the egg was a light shade of pink and it wobbled around the plate enticingly.  I sliced it open and there was just the barest ring of color permeating the edges.  It tasted very much like what I remembered the old spicy pickled eggs to taste, but with more depth from the onion and garlic.
The heat was very mild, surprisingly so, but it tasted great!

Now as to the Sriracha Onions.

[SIZE="6"][FONT="Impact"]They Are Freaking Incredible![/FONT][/size]

I hit the sweet spot on these, nirvana in a jar.
The onions are still crunchy and juicy, the flavors seem well balanced to me and they've a really nice color.
I layered these with two handfuls of chopped Jalapenos/Garlic before adding the brine. 
The heat was very nice, they're just hot enough to let you get a mild endorphin rush.

They're so good I ate a third of the jar.

Ragnar Benson:

Ron Jones

Those look nummy! I bet a mayo salad with the egg and onion on multi-grain with some spicy mustard would drop you over dead from the goodness.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Good report.  I'm going to make up a batch of these with my grandkids this weekend.

Shark Hunter

Ok John,
I have the hookup on some peppers. Reapers and Ghost.
I will get them in the mail this weekend.
I got the Ghosts last night. He is Bringing the Reapers Tonight.
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Hot Damn!  ;D

Thanks Daron,
you didn't have to do that, but I very much appreciate it.
I'm gonna eat part of one raw for the experience.
And the rest will go in recipes.
I want some Super Hot pickled eggs and  can some Reaper salsa and Pico de Gallo.

I'm excited!
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

I work with a lot of guys that have the same affliction as you with the peppers.
I will get in on them from now on, just to send you.
That is the advantage with working with a large group of people in a factory for many years.
We all become friends, Share interests and ideas.
I will show the dreaded Reapers before I sent them all together.
You are on your own with these. It is the Hottest pepper in the World.
I'll settle for the Biggest Reel. ;)
Life is Good!

mizmo67

I have never pickled anything....for these eggs, I may be willing to try.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

newfuturevintage

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 22, 2016, 02:24:13 AM
2/3C Sriracha Chili Garlic
1/3C El Yucateco Habanero XXX

Two of my favorite hot sauces in one jar!

That yucateco is awesome. When it's fresh, it's no joke, but mellows pretty quickly once you open the bottle.

I can't imagine how awful boiling that stuff together would be on the eyes/sinuses!