Nep-Tuna 349HC

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Well the components have started arriving, i got Sheridan's rod guides and he added a little extra, five guides for the shaft, thread and varnish for the wrappings.....the pressure is building and Im gonna have to step up my game to make this whole affair worthy    :o  first step will be to strip off all the old wrappings and polish the blank....thanks again  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Update on the rebuild....stripped off all the guides from the rod and chemically and mechanically stripping the oldvarnish from the fiber glass rod....so while the strippers are working I started on the butt which is a hemp/manilla wrapped wooden section

As I un-wound the cordage found two layers of brown painted cords

Under the first layer was a big build up of duct tape to bring the second layer to the height of the Nep-Tuna frame

As I dug deeper into the butt section I then discovered the builders need to add material to reach the frame height, the butt was way under sized

Then i discovered the builder had drilled and NAILED the butt section into the frame with a cut 16 penny nail, so out came the dremel and drill to drill out the nail holding the butt into the frame

Upon removal there was three wraps of wet/dry sandpaper to make up the diameter of the butt section to the frame opening....

Now rather than try to make this work I will be building a new butt section from a 1" diameter wooden dowel, tapered eva grip and rubber gimball end cap.  I will be clear coating the rod section and wrapping the guides this week, placing an order for the butt components and a trip to Home Depot for the wooden dowel.....this is really turning into a project....and I am learning why rod builders do not like to RE-BUILD rods....lots of work for little money.....I hope I am not boring everyone with this project....Bill

RowdyW

This is certainly very interesting.

thorhammer

yep, rebuilds on anything...house reno, car resto, reel, or rod usually have a surprise cow pie to step in...

Bill, what size butt do you need? I may have one and will send it on with the roller top.

Swami805

Boring? This is epic. Twine,sandpaper duct tape, the guy must have been out of bondo. Keep it coming. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

John the frame socket measures 2 1/2" deep and 7/8" ID but I need to double check the ID....the exposed butt section is 13" so 15 1/2" or longer would be fantastic....thank you gentlemen for all the assistance....Bill

thorhammer

Bill, I have a bunch of vintage rods and will check when I get home today. You're welcome to whatever you can use; they just sit in my attic until I need a part.

Bill B

Cool beans brother...I will send a pm tonight after I confirm the socket ID....

thorhammer

ok. Note, when I have such a reclamation project, I have successfully used Gorilla glue if the gaps are small or surfaces are uneven. It expands to fill voids and is pretty tenacious; I saw guys use it to whole stick toe rail on sailboats. I know I have several butts, will take some pics.

Bill B

I confirmed the socket ID and it's 13/16" or a hair over 7/8" with and OL of 13 3/4".......thanks again brother....

Tightlines667

Cool project.

Can't wait to see it progress.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

Quote from: TARFU on October 31, 2016, 10:42:50 PM
I confirmed the socket ID and it's 13/16" or a hair over 7/8" with and OL of 13 3/4".......thanks again brother....

ok, will see what I have.

John

Big Tim

I got this I can send you if you want to try to extract the butt section and go OLD SKOOL - And definitely not boring

Tim

Bill B

WOW   :o  Does it get much more OG (Original Gangster) than .....quite similar to what was removed, mine had the bee hive pattern on the bottom end but slim at the top.....generous offer brother and Cool Beans too  ;D  Not sure if I will use it or John's offering, but always good to have a back either way...... pm sent......Bill

Big Tim

I will send it minus the broken bamboo in front.

Tim